The Clockhouse

mazza7103

I was talking about doing an open mic night there every now and then with laurence the manager he's up for that, you can take your ipod there on sundays and play music but apart from that I'm not sure, Its not a bsd pub though for a quiet drink or two.

Clockhouse goes through ups and downs food wise but in my opinion the food has been pretty good for the last year or so. I have bothered to make direct complaints when it wasn't, and praise when it is. otherwise how do they know?

But I love the Clockhouse - been my local for last 26 years! And even though it's gone horribly corporate since Frances and Peter left, Laurence is one good landlord and doing his very best.

It was my local until two years ago, I remember Peter & Frances very well and knew most of the people in the pub and the barmen and women. I also watched the two kids, Toby and Mile grow up to be two of the most objectionable knob ends you could meet, and had words with them on more than one occasion. Miles obssession with Elvis was very strange!!!

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It was my local until two years ago, I remember

> Peter & Frances very well and knew most of the

> people in the pub and the barmen and women. I also

> watched the two kids, Toby and Mile grow up to be

> two of the most objectionable knob ends you could

> meet, and had words with them on more than one

> occasion. Miles obssession with Elvis was very

> strange!!!

Bloody hell Atila, I probably served you. Miles wasn't only obssessed with Elvis. He was very keen on old skool BMXs and Land Rovers too. He was a mixed up boy.

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lucky he's not a real person whose friends and

> relatives might read this thread, eh.

I assume you are refering to Miles and Toby, in which case all I can say is speak as you find. They were quite often rude to customers, which is probably because Pete and his missus were also very good at being rude, arrogant and condescending. if you had the temerity to complain about the condition and taste of the real ale, jesus you were in big trouble. This will be verified by many others that used the pub as their watering holw from the time they became licensees to the time of thier departure and leaving do which I attended with many ex customers (by this I mean people who had been barred by big Pete but had seen fit to invite to their levaing do and amazingly tnured up for it!) My favourite barman was a Scots guy called Jim Latta who moved up to Leeds in the early nineties with his other half Catherine.

I stopped being there when it was about five minutes before closing time because Miles would stack chairs on tables next to you which really was saying foxtrot oscar. Toby went travelling and I thought turned into a pleasant young man. Frances couldn?t stand me until she discovered my wife had a posh accent. Peter hated the Irish festival but it was a real dilemma when his pub was full of pished paddy?s (who he hated because they were Irish) who were spending lots of money. I loved asking him if he was having a nice day. All the staff now are gems including Laurence. Happy days.

Sean- went to Brugge in September, brilliant place.

The attitude was summed up for me when a certain member of staff, commenting on Tiger Woods leading The Open, said 'I don't want him to win, we don't want a black man winning the Open'. That and Mile's 'laying on of hands' with his girlfriend at the time showed me what sort of people they were.

I like the Clockhouse. I've been going in on an irregular basis since I was a teenager. Yes, Peter was up his own arse and a complete snob, Francis could be the same on occasion but was always extremely pleasant to me and without wanting to sound conceited I think she fancied me. The two boys could be a bit odd but I took them with a pinch of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of Tequila.

I only tend to go there mostly in the summer though and this summer it was a very pleasant place to sit outside and watch the world go by. I've found the new staff to be very pleasant and even enjoyed some reasonably good food (in a Youngs pub? I hear Sean Mac say) there during the summer months. I love Youngs beer and so I shall be popping in soon for some Winter Warmer as it's been a while. Cheers!

well I drink in there quite a lot (well not that much) and like it, everyone seems freindly enough to me and they haven't even banned me yet, must be getting old. Pimms is only good in the summer more specifically when the sun is shining,it just doesn't taste the same when its cloudy, winter pimms is just wrong mulled wine is better to warm the winter cockles.