The execution of Gary Glitter

Keef

Did anyone watch The execution of Gary Glitter on Channel 4 last night?

First off, it was really really well written, and well made, and the actor Hilton McRae (who I've not heard of) was fantastic as Glitter.

When it finished, I went to bed feeling a bit disturbed, particularly as at the very end, text came up on the screen saying "54% of adults in the UK support the reintroduction of the death penalty" (or something like that).

I just hope and prey that that stat is wrong!

All the arguements for it in the programme, like "it's justice", "it's about protecting our children"... What a load of bollocks. How is killing the person, protecting the children, once the crime has already been committed?

Death sentences are revenge, nothing more. If people want to be pro death penalty, fine, but don't try and dress it up as something good. It is proper old school biblical eye for an eye!

I think the good thing about the film, was that it took the most unsympathetic character possible, it didn't try to demonise him, but it certainly didn't defend him, yet for me at least, I still couldn't agree that he should be hanged.

I do feel slightly concerned that this film could be made, about a man who is still alive, and has been released from prison. I think he's a twisted individual, but this just seemed a very strange film to have made about you.

Keef

I'm glad you put this thread up, I came in late and saw the court scene where the jury delivered the verdict. From what I saw the production looked very good however, what disturbed me was the premise of the film.

We as a society decided that the death penalty was wrong and dropped it off the statute book, so other than the drama why make a film investigating the judicial use of the death penalty today by having a trial for Paul Gadd . He is is man who has been hung drawn & quartered by the press already, so who's blood lust does this fulfill.

For me what is perverse is it takes the idea of a turning over a repealed law and moves into modern day society. If we follow that retrospective view could we look at other benchmarks in justice and experiment with those. It doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination to think of other variations of the theme.

I will re watch the whole thing later today, though for me so far it feels very uncomfortable.

W**F

Do you think it will be put on the Channel4 catch-up site? Hope it is - really want to see this.

It is strange that they've chosen someone who is still alive. I wonder if they would have chosen someone who had the finances to take legal action? I wonder if he (Paul Gadd) has seen it? Weired.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely that should be 54% of tabloid newspaper

> readers support the reintroduction of the death

> penalty.

Really, what is your comment based on? Fact or opinion. Suely if it is just your opiinion then you are no better than the tabloid readers you seem to despise. This debate has long raged on the forum, I support the death penalty as I don't believe that everybody is capable of redemption and that the offender offers nothing to society. But I won't labour the point or get into a huge argument over my belief.

Who are the 54% & what was the sample, were you asked ?

Only 61.36% of the adult population voted in the last general election.Local elections only about 30%

On 20 May 1998, a free vote during a debate on the Human Rights Bill, MP?s decided by 294 to 136, a 158 majority, to adopt provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights outlawing capital punishment for murder except "in times of war or imminent threat of war." The Bill incorporates the European Convention on Human Rights into British law.

The above speaks volumes.

W**F

Cassius Wrote:

> Surely that should be 54% of tabloid newspaper

> readers support the reintroduction of the death

> penalty.

I think the figure is somewhat higher among 'christians'.

Disturbing premise of programme, but there are worse things in the world.

Hope to be able to see it on catch-up and make up my own mind.

Keef Wrote:

> I think the figure is somewhat higher among

> 'christians'.

>

> Any opportunity!

Not really. In general, 'christians' and those with religious beliefs tend to have more conservative views than non-religous, here and elsewhere.

US politics is dominated by the interests of the religious right, which has largely informed the political debate over many years, in old testament terms (do a state by state analysis of political colour red/blue vs. status of capital punishment...)

In Uganda, we now have a government driven by 'christian' ideas wanting to impose the death penalty on various parts of the LGBT group, specifically. See Davis Mac-Iyalla's article in today's press on death penalty issues now facing Ugandans that don't conform to traditional biblical teachings of 'what is right'. This is tragic. It would be great to see our Archbishop coming out against killing people on the grounds of their sexual orientation, but I think the poor chap has too much to lose (the entire African flock). I do not understand the fence-sitting attitude the Anglican church is taking on all these matters. Do they really think they can keep the African flock *and* be at peace with their consciences?

I could go on...

In general, I don't think the terms 'liberal' (in the wide sense, not the political one) and 'religious' have ever really gone hand in hand in recent history. Please prove me wrong.

Keef Wrote:

>

> All the arguements for it in the programme, like

> "it's justice", "it's about protecting our

> children"... What a load of bollocks. How is

> killing the person, protecting the children, once

> the crime has already been committed?

>

Well it obviously prevents them from committing further crimes on innocent children. Peadophiles tend to be reintroduced into society and we are not aware of where they live.

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but for peadophiles, it should be life and life should mean life.

We as a society decided that the death penalty was wrong and dropped it off the statute book............

Wrote woofmarkthedog.

It was voted by MP's, not voted by the populace, because when one of the national dailies held a poll via their readership more than 70% were in favour of keeping the death penalty.

SteveT Wrote:

> We as a society decided that the death penalty was

> wrong and dropped it off the statute

> book............

> Wrote woofmarkthedog.

>

> It was voted by MP's, not voted by the populace,

> because when one of the national dailies held a

> poll via their readership more than 70% were in

> favour of keeping the death penalty.

Indeed SteveT, that is one things we can thank our MPs for. It was ever thus.

SteveT Wrote:

> We as a society decided that the death penalty was

> wrong and dropped it off the statute

> book............

> Wrote woofmarkthedog.

>

> It was voted by MP's, not voted by the populace,

> because when one of the national dailies held a

> poll via their readership more than 70% were in

> favour of keeping the death penalty.

Much as we like to think otherwise MP's are part of the collective we

What national daily exactly The Mail, The Express, the Daily Star ? they are all National & all Daily so please enlighten

Oh yes, lets modernise society & wheel out "ol' sparky"

FFS here we go (again) kill the lot, that will sort it all out

W**F

I watched this programme on my laptop last night via the link in Keef's post. There's an hour of my life that I won't get back. It was vile; absolutely vile. The only thing that kept me watching was the belief that sooner or later a point would be made. What on earth was the agenda of the filmmakers? Are they trying to tell us that the death penalty is a good thing and we should open the debate again? Is that what it was about?

As far as I'm concerned it was real "lowest common denominator" TV. Ann Widdecombe and Gary Bushell FFS. Oh, and Miranda Sawyer - you should be ashamed of yourself - there goes your credibility.

If Channel 4 want to open a genuine debate about the death penalty (or anything else) then let them do it in an intelligent way, without the use of shock tactics, sensationalism and pompous vox-pops.

If this is the sort of tosh being broadcast then thank God I don't have a TV.

Disgusted of Dulwich

p.s. The actor who played Glitter was very good though.

p.p.s. In the ad break there were some ads for BT - those actors must surely win awards for being the smuggest people on TV. Who the heck is casting these people?

When does the actual execution take place ?

I know it's at the O2 Arena, that of course goes with out saying. ( SteveT has front row tickets for both nights )

Also there will be a collectors item limited edition "Gary on the Gallows" DVD & Blu-Ray, but I'm sure it will be on U-Tube just like that last great event in world entertainment justice "Lets hang Sadam" was.

W**F

If you want to have a word in person with Miranda Sawyer get yourself to Brockwell Park swings, where she can often be found contemplating her thickening beauty*, while something pushes her to the side of her own life.

* Actually, neither term really appropriate in her case, but Larkin's Larkin, who am I to argue?

The fact that this being discussed on Forums like this up and down the country proves that there is strong feeling both for and against the death penalty and neither faction will persuade the other faction to change their view. I've always believed in the death penalty for certain crimes and that has never chamged, nor has anybody persuaded me that the death penalty is wrong.