Are there many other bikers/motorcyclists in East Dulwich?

rcmacf

I'm new round these parts, and the forum, so not sure how many of you guys have bikes. As I work from home often, I see the same bikes all the time, and commute, too, past the same bikes. Anyone here? I hear loads of Triumph Triples whiz by, see a blue and red CBF parked outside the carpet shop, and in fact someone on a white Street Triple just flew by. I also see a yellow Fazer ridden by a woman (I think) daily, and think I've chatted to her at lights in Wimbledon. Any of these folks you?

For my part, I have a Hornet, and a Triumph Daytona 675, which is never parked outside in ED, as I looked out my window at 2am once to see a couple of scroats wheeling it into the back of a Transit. I interceded, and the feckers dropped it and took off. Lock them up, folks!

So, who's all one of the 1 percenters?

I ride a Yazuki EnormoBlast 4800.

I've tried a lot of machines, but I feel you really need in excess of 140bhp if you're to get away from the lights quickly enough. More importantly, I always like to be the first the arrive at the next set of lights fifty yards down the road.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I ride a Yazuki EnormoBlast 4800.

>

> I've tried a lot of machines, but I feel you

> really need in excess of 140bhp if you're to get

> away from the lights quickly enough. More

> importantly, I always like to be the first the

> arrive at the next set of lights fifty yards down

> the road.

This seems terribly familiar...

Perhaps my 125 hp bike is used for other things? Perhaps trips around europe with luggage, perhaps trips to Brands Hatch, to go on track, or perhaps it is just to zip from lights to lights. What's your point, caller?

rcmacf Wrote:

> Perhaps my 125 hp bike is used for other things?

> Perhaps trips around europe with luggage, perhaps

> trips to Brands Hatch, to go on track, or perhaps

> it is just to zip from lights to lights. What's

> your point, caller?

I've no doubt this is true. You're in the clear. Rest easy.

But let's face it, the majority of sportsbike owners are mostly interested in cock-posing at the lights / wrapping them around a lamp=post.

The lights were groovy colours,

The band was playin' slow,

We danced just one dance together,

Then she said...

I've Gotta Go Now.

I brushed away a tear drop,

And followed her outside,

Where a long haired yob on a cycle was waiting to gi'e her a ride,

I'll never forget, that freak she went with,

Tell him he'd better leave town,

Cos as soon as me moped's front mud guard is fixed,

Gonna find the creep and put him down.

(Down Down)

When I get me moped out on the road I'm gonna ride ride ride,

When I get me moped out on the road I'm gonna ride ride ride,

When I get me moped out on the road, aint nobody gonna tell mee where to go no

When I get me moped out on the road I'm gonna ride ride ride.

(Funky Moped)

[Chorus]

Blue Funky Moped,

Blue Funky Moped,

Blue Funky Moped,

Blue Funky Moped

*Bob*, what's bugging you?

All weather rider - CHECK

50k miles plus in many countries - CHECK

Two bikes regarded as best for what they do - CHECK

Tinted pinloc insert - CHECK

Shoei XR-1000 - CHECK

Rukka/HG/A-stars kit - CHECK

Organises trips round Europe - CHECK

Now, step back. Wee bit further. Breath.

I'm not talking about you, rcmfadsmf.. there's no need to flash your biking credentials. I believe you. You're one of the good guys.

Just a general comment on general motorcycle ownership generally.

Can we at least agree that the ones with a 'roof' on top are just plain wrong?

I was slightly in error.

I meant to say 'general soopadoopasportsbike ownership', not general ownership.

I think they're actually slightly safer in London than in other parts, because you can't go fifty feet without having to stop a lights (though I'm not sure if spending half an hour each morning hunched over with your face in the clocks, doing 10mph is a great look).

But where I used to live (oop north) the local Bike trader mag consists mostly of bikes capable of 160mph with five previous owners and 2000 miles on the clock. Not suprisingly most of the biking casualties in A&E (lying back watching ?500 of new riding gear getting unceremoniously scissored-off) were all in their early twenties and had only been riding for a very short time.

I think I know what you're driving at, and the best place for you to be is here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=74&mid=14015 where you shall find reasoned debate by experienced and generally well balanced people.

All things are relative, and to be honest I don't actually see many nurtured, gleaming supersports or litre sports bikes in and around London compared to the surrounds. As it happens, though, my Daytona is a supersport "600" and is fantastic for getting about london due to the torque delivery in traffic and its extremely narrow profile. I know of a few other guys who choose to commute into and through london on similar sports bikes for just these reasons. Additionally, not everyone can afford to have a fun sportier bike for the weekend, etc, and one more suited to pootling round town for their commute. The same goes for the weekenders.

On another note, almost every car you see on the road can go at 100mph, and plenty to 150mph, but they have to stop at the same lights, too. Oh, and my commute is 50 minutes with 20 sets of lights which are typically green.

I know this isn't aimed at me, but at a small percentage. Saying that, though, I may well be one of the very people you rail against, as I don't hang about.

???? Wrote:

> The lights were groovy colours,

> The band was playin' slow,

> We danced just one dance together,

> Then she said...

> I've Gotta Go Now.

>

> I brushed away a tear drop,

> And followed her outside,

> Where a long haired yob on a cycle was waiting to

> gi'e her a ride,

> I'll never forget, that freak she went with,

> Tell him he'd better leave town,

> Cos as soon as me moped's front mud guard is

> fixed,

> Gonna find the creep and put him down.

> (Down Down)

>

> When I get me moped out on the road I'm gonna ride

> ride ride,

> ride ride,

> When I get me moped out on the road, aint nobody

> gonna tell mee where to go no

> ride ride.

> (Funky Moped)

>

>

> Blue Funky Moped,

> Blue Funky Moped,

> Blue Funky Moped,

> Blue Funky Moped

Ah, great song. I can also sing this in a genuine brummie accent for maximum effect. I actually didn't realise that the chorus is 'blue' funky moped. I always thought it was 'gooo' funky moped, as in 'she can gooo like the clappers'. You learn something new every day.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> A scooter then. As for ?60 to insure - is that

> ever possible?

Certainly not. 600cc.

Actually my premium rocketed to ?67 this year, but I've found the extra cash from somewhere.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Annndddd onwards.

> Found it!

> Some useful links for Motorcyclists and

> Scooterists, called in the trade PTW Powered Two

> Wheelers, which is daft since some Piaggios make

> bikes with two wheels up front and they look DAFT!

There's a feature on them in Ride this month - the wheel base is set wide enough that they count as a 3 wheeled car, meaning that legally they can be ridden with just a car licence, and without a helmet! craziness.

I was forced to flog my 600 fazer 2 years ago to cover study expenses - once the income goes back up, have my eye on a number of potential replacements...