Outrageous (stomps foot)

dulwichmum

My perfect child was cycling through Dulwich Village this evening avec au pair, when they were stopped by a police man and given a ?30 fine for cycling on the pavement! I am horrified. It is extremely unsafe for tiny children to cycle on the road through rush hour congested traffic. Do they expect us to collect our children in cars or do they genuinely want our children to get exercise and preserve the environment?

Like everything else, current policies are all about image.

On a week when the news has been filled with horrific tales of a school girl being gang raped in Peckham, why are Southwark police in Dulwich Village outside a junior school harassing cycling parents and child carers? Should they not be protecting the vulnerable of Southwark?

This is symptomatic of a broken Britain. This is a country where career politicians milk the system for everything it is worth. I am still reeling due to Gordon Brown's stupid suggestion of removing tax breaks for working parents. HOW DARE THEY (stomps foot)? Who do they think pays the tax in this country?

yes Mr Keef, the au pair was cycling on the pavement too, and yes, I know it looks dreadful. They were coming out of the school gates towards the zebra crossing, and the au pair would have had to cycle on the opposite side of the street from the child, as that is the direction they were heading - in the rain. They should make a cycle path.

Michael dear, you know that my children are tiny. How dare you try to offend me like this, and you know that frowning accentuates my fine lines and wrinkles...

Let's be fair-the police can get it wrong. I got stopped outside Finsbury Park Station's Arsenal shop, wearing a retro 1976 Man City shirt on a drug search-simply because the sniffer dog had just caught a drug carrier. Was I aggrieved? Thought it was pant wettingly funny tbh !

BTW Outragous has an E in it as in Outrageous-teach your kids to spell better than you please OP

Bluerevolution Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BTW Outragous has an E in it as in

> Outrageous-teach your kids to spell better than

> you please OP

*tongue most firmly in cheek*

Bluerevolution, I could be wrong here but I suspect that the "error" was a mere typo. I simply cannot imagine a woman of DM's breeding being unable to spell. Moreover, she would, almost certainly, have delegated the task of typing the OP to her Housekeeper. God forbid that those freshly varnished and beautifully manicured nails should get chipped.

*tries very hard not to laugh*

Sorry to be predictable but no-one on this forum is able to answer seriously to your ever so serious problem. But if you go to your local Police Ward Panel you can ask them why the fine, and ask them their policies, and have a go at them about the policies, and then feel better you aimed your wrath at the right people.

But poor you, it must be so dreadful. I'd have been so embarrassed, that telling everyone about it on here would have been the last thing I'd have done!

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course you have to moan about the country you

> live in. How else will you get the help up off

> their collective arse to make it a better place?

If that worked there would no need for moaning now.

Is it unreasonable to assume that it was the adult rather than the small child cycling on the pavement that caused the police to intervene? As you say, they were coming out of the school gates at the time so perhaps the police were just trying to 'protect the vulnerable of Southwark'- in this instance young children who may be put at risk by an adult cycling on the pavement.

If only the au pair had just got off her bike until she reached the road, and then ridden alongside the nipper on the pavement... well, all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

*Sigh* good help is sooo hard to find...

Well! I've just been cautioned for driving without due care and attention. Utter nonsense of course, that disabled pensioner was standing mere inches from the kerb, and wasn't even looking in my direction. It's hardly my fault if she didn't see me reversing and her toes were run over.

I'm with DM- I think it's shocking that the police should harass innocent tax payers. They should find better things to do with their time.

'I'm with DM- I think it's shocking that the police should harass innocent tax payers. They should find better things to do with their time.'

Do we assume, then, that this Au Pair pays tax? She breaks cycling laws, that's one out of three!