Why do people compare small business with supermarket

rainbow

I work on a store where we work long hours to meet the demand of the local.. It makes me really angry when the odd ignorance who aproach us to tell us that our price are much dearer than supermarket and yet always comes back for more..AArrrgg...

rainbow - now I'm wondering which shop it is

I suspect the problem you describe is a combination of factors

Many people judge solely on price - some because they have to based on incomes, but more because that's what society teaches them to. They complain if something is cheaper somewhere else BUT also complain if their employer adopts the same value system

Shops sometimes need to over-inflate their prices in order to make-up for all the people who come in, spend half an hour trying things out and seeking advice - say they'll think about it and then go home and buy it cheaper on the internet.

Sorry rainbow, are you complaining about people who moan about the prices but continue to buy stuff from your shop? Maybe if you complain directly to those people they'll get the message and take their business elsewhere. That would be better?

If people want to know why you are more expensive than the supermarket you should be ready (and able) to tell them why - what extra value are they getting that justifies the higher price? Maybe your products are better, maybe you are more convenient, maybe you offer a better service or'shopping experience'?

There's nothing nasty or greedy about wanting value for money.

Then I'm not sure what your point is - I've seen people berate staff in these small shops and I doubt very much they are interested in hearing about "economies of scale" or any suchlike

"There's nothing nasty or greedy about wanting value for money." - it depends on what you consider value for money... If you know the corner shop charges more than a supermarket but can't be fagged to go to the supermarket, you have done the equation about the value of your time - why take it out on the staff?

Wanting value for money dhoesn't give licence to behave badly - rainbow isn't complaining about people using his/her shop or enquiring about the reasons for the price differential - they are complaining about the uncivil behaviour that goes with it. Which seems fair enough to the ....

i'm the most patience person on earth. It just get to the point where I can't be bother to explain to these people anymore. Don't get the wrong impression that I overcharge by the sound of things.I have excellent reputaion..or so I've been told by my customers :))

Come on Sean. You are forgetting peoples? democratic right to behave like complete cunts as long as they can somehow justify it within the confines of social norms and the law.

You can?t expect individuals to go around giving a toss about other individuals. They aren?t banks.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Then I'm not sure what your point is - I've seen

> people berate staff in these small shops and I

> doubt very much they are interested in hearing

> about "economies of scale" or any suchlike

>

Not sure what the OP's point is TBH.

Ok, so some morons don't undrstand why small local shops can't match the prices large national chain stores, or recognise the extra convenience they are receiving for that price.

The question is, would the OP rather have the custom from these people and put up with their whinging, or not have their custom at all?

Surely dealing wit these people just goes with the territory. For every conscientious Guardian reading EDF type who shops locally to support their local highstreet and source higher quality products, there's a bunch feckless, old or plain lazy people who shop locally because they can't get it together to get up the hill to Sainsburys.

Wow..Thanks for your support guys, you see what I mean?? These people do exist,you can explain all you want the message just won't get across. Bottom line. I personally think if you dissagree with something you can point it out nicely or go else where

The fact is the rates on supermarkets are far cheaper per square foot than on small shops.

Everything is cheaper on bulk purchases.

The local shop trading does not need a car or bus ride to it.

They are free to shop where they please, you are not holding a gun to their head, though sometimes I guess you wish you were;-)

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having owned my own "corner shp" for many years in

> the 70's and 80's, people don't always look at

> price at least they didn't back then, it was about

> choice, convenience and the relationship built up

> between customer and shop owner, to this day I

> meet former customers who ask how my family are

> which is really nice.

Bet they don't ask about Arsenal Atila. They know they need to get home eventually.....