Massive Huge Fire at Peckham

Easties EL

From The LFB-

26 June 2008

Fire crews were called to a fire at a flat on East Dulwich Road, Peckham in the early hours of this morning. The fire started in the lounge and is believed to have been caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette. There was heavy smoke logging throughout the building.

There was no working smoke alarm in the property and the Brigade was called by a passerby. Crew manager Jon Page said: ?This highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm. Had the passerby not called us then this incident could have been a lot worse.?

A man was rescued from the bedroom by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. He was suffering from smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

London Fire Brigade offers free home fire safety visits and will come and visit your home to give you fire safety advice and fit a smoke alarm where needed. To book an appointment call 08000 28 44 28.

The Brigade was called at 0137. Firefighters from Old Kent Road and Peckham fire stations were at the scene.

This is crazy - it's literally just 7 streets away from that other major fire, a few months back.

Seems really backward constructing a huge building using TIMBER frames? Is that normal???

At least no one was seriously hurt this time which is amazing considering the damage done

Early reports did seem to suggest "East Dulwich Road, Peckham" (which is where Tesco Metro and Locale are) but the fire is actually much further north in Peckham-proper.

From the PA:

Around 150 people have been evacuated from their homes in Peckham after a huge blaze at a building site spread to several blocks of flats.

More than 125 firefighters were tackling the blaze in Carisbrooke Gardens.

One resident spoke of flames shooting 20ft high from the three and four-storey blocks as residents, including mothers with babies, sheltered on the street.

One casualty was treated at hospital for smoke inhalation, with their condition not reported to be life threatening.

A total of 25 fire pumps were at the scene, along with police officers and 20 ambulance crews on stand-by.

A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said the building site first caught light, with gas cylinders possibly involved, and the fire spread "very rapidly".

The Metropolitan Police said the fire spread to "several" blocks of flats and other properties in Sumner Road and Rosemary Road.

The evacuated people were moved to emergency accommodation provided by the local authority.

Pictures of the blaze showed flames bursting from the top floors of a four-storey building.

It comes nearly five months after six people died when a fire ripped through a block of flats in nearby Camberwell.

I really hope the people who have lost their homes get some much needed help weeks beofre xmas this is not a nice thing to happen to anyone. My sister in law is one of the many who's house has been destoyed by this fire just thankful that her and the kids r well and alive. I was watching the fire and 05.30am and i was allover the place. In shock.

Moos, Thank you for your kind comment it kinda mad me realise and put things in perspective that i have been moaning all year about my housing situation and now that this has happended im thankful i even have a roof over my head i will never moan again. Ne1 needing help i will only be to happy to help just ask.