How much to spend on a wedding gift???

bubblensqueek

it feels awkward asking this questions but how much money do people usually spend on a wedding gift???? where i'm from (not the uk) we spend money accordingly to how well we know the bride and/or groom. we have to go to my husbands' cousin's wedding who we see about once yearly (when my in laws are in town). i was planning on spending ?75 but hubbie heard from english collegues (hubie is not british either)that ?150 seems standard for family. i nearly fell off my chair.

I have been going with ?100 recently for friends weddings. But ?75 seems absolutley fine to me. ?50 might be ok if you are young / single, ie one person attending wedding.

These days with 2 kids it costs a lot just to get to the wedding and often an overnight stay for 4 costs a lot more than the wedding gift.

I think most people are happy to have a gift and probably won't judge you.

Since did a wedding gift become a personal tax based on your means to pay?

No.

You want to get married. You want everyone to turn-up and coo over you on your special day. Dry-clean their suits. polish their shoes. Take time off work sometimes. Sit on a train to some gorforsaken little church in the middle of nowhere just outside Oxford that you've never set foot-in in your whole life, but want to get married there because it aaawww.. innit prettiiiie? Arrange babysitters, accommodation.

And on top of all that, you want cash. No less than ?150, please. Oh - or a Dualit 4-slice toaster in Cream.

Piss off!

I suppose you could just spend ?75.

But you'll have to make amends in church.

As the rings are exchanged, I suggest you run to the front of the church, throw yourself to your knees in front of the altar, and scream "Father, forgive me, for I have only given a gift worth a mere ?75 even though it was made perfectly clear to me that ?150 was standard for this family"

Should I ever get married, people will be seated according to the size of the gifts they have given.

Those who have given less than the standard amount (tbc) will be forced to sit in a line on very low plastic chairs, facing the wall with fingers on lips whilst the more generous guests shout abuse and slap them round the back of the head.

A couple we know got married. We flew several thousand miles to their wedding.

They didn't want any gifts, because they were going to buy a VW camper van and spend a year touring in wedded bliss, probably running the car on love instead of petrol I suppose.

So on the big day - there it is, smack bang next to the cake. A homemade scale model of VDub - with SLOT on top, and into this slot we pushed our filthy lucre until it could take no more, so bursting as it was with goodwill at the thought of such a romantic dream.

Did they buy one?

Did they bo1locks!

?50 is plenty, ?75 generous, unless it's one of your own kids getting married, or maybe a sibling.

A mate got invited to a wedding and was moaning to another guy about the excessive cost of stuff on the list (Selfridges, I think). The other guy, who is stinking rich, had also been invited and it emerged that he had been referred to another, even more expensive list (Harrods or some such). It turned out the happy couple had set up two lists and the card you got in your invite depended on how much they thought you would stump up.

Nice.

Don?t do it! Those things are a physical embodiment of everything that is shit about peoples? attitude to weddings.

My best friends had one for their wedding (only at the behest of a mean mother/in-law) so I made a specific point of not getting them anything.

My friend got me back as best man at my wedding a year later though. He got snotflying drunk, made inappropriate advances towards my mother-in-law, passed out in the loos and had to be frog marched home by his father. All of which are much more palatable wedding traditions than giving your card details to John bastard Lewis.