Sports Personality...2009

Mick Mac

Is it a poor list? Depends on whether you're talking charisma or achievement

Captain of an Ashes winning test team, GP champion driver, a few other world champs in various sports

Even Murray won 6 tournaments in 2009, the miserable b*gger.

Anyway, I'm voting for....that bloke, you know....the famous one....no, it's gone.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it a poor list? Depends on whether you're

> talking charisma or achievement

I always the clue to be in the title: Sports Personality

As exemplified by winners over the last three years: Chris Hoy, Joe Calzaghe and Zara Phillips.

My top 3

David Haye - He is a personality, he goes too far sometimes, but it's good to have a world class British Heavyweight.

Andrew Strauss - Won the Ashes without his best batsman, and with his star allrounder only half fit. Led from the front with his batting.

Jessica Ennis - The girl done good (and it's in her hometown).

Much as I love footy, I don't really like footballers to win this. Football is totally a team game, whereas Cricket is about individuals as well as the team. So sorry Ryan Giggs, although I do have to take my hat off to you.

what about Button? He's got my vote. yeah, maybe he wasn't as strong in the second half of the season (bar the last couple of races), but he dominated the first half and won the world bloody title. What's peoples problem with him? I mean, as many a close friend has said, hayes didn't exactly do much in his fight, and some have argued he didn't exactly deserve to win, so not sure why he tops people lists. Strauss led a very average england side with some appauling performances against an equally average austrailia, not exactly sporting glory to win the ashes. And Murray's won nowt. why the feck would anyone vote for giggs?

These days it's more likely to mean 'just winning something', coupled with a large dollop of Aunty Beeb's worthy piety about giving it to this years Origami World Champion rather than something as tasteless and popular as football or the like.

Henry Cooper, Jackie Stewart, Steve Ovett, Ian Botham, Daley Thomson...?

or Chris Hoy, Joe Calzaghe, Zara Phillips..?

Well I hope Ennis gets it - hard working champion with relatively little financial reward....but "successful" F1 drivers and boxers always seem to get the old block voting organised so I reckon Button will get it.

The award to a foreign sports star this year goes to Thierry Henry...B)

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Murray has been dumped for spending too much time

> on this:

>

> http://www.myps3.com.au/img/news/COD--Modern-Warfa

> re-2-gets-dated-1.jpg

>

> And not enough time on this:

>

> http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/images/09/08/kim-s

> ears.jpg

You may be aware of my contempt for "Games & gamers" but I can smell her "farty " breath from here

No love lost then with his "professional GF"

Grr

W**F