Sticky rice

jimmy two times

Apparently you rinse rice properly four times, then for every cup of rice, boil it in a cup and a half of water. When the rice comes to the boil, the water should be level with the rice and you remove it from the heat and leave the lid on, until the rice is soft and the water is all evaporated. I learned this from a lovely Indian friend when I was living in halls as a student.

I havent cooked myself for years (clearly), so I don't know if it still works...;-)

1 part Basmati (or Patna) rice.

2 parts water (by volume).

Salt to taste.

Add a dash of Turmeric powder for yellow rice (optional).

Bring to the boil in a covered saucepan and simmer on medium heat until the rice is slightly wet.

Remove from heat and stand on insulated surface (i.e. a folded tea towel) to steam for approx. 15 minutes or until dry.

While standing, use a fork to fluff the rice initially and occasionally thereafter.

Result: perfect fluffy rice every time.

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I always add a bit of olive oil.

It doesn't do any harm - most Pilau rice recipes start off by frying a little onion and garlic before adding the rice and water.

> Hal, hope you

> don't blow a fuse but is there such a thing as

> perfect rice that's 'fluffy'? Is it not overdone

> if it gets to that?

By "fluffy" I mean that the grains are dry and do not stick together. The grains themselves are al dente, i.e. they should have a 'bite'.

Basmati Rice

Rinse well in cold water in a sieve first.

Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add in rice.

Cook for a few minutes - boil another kettle of water whilst this is happening

Put rice through sieve and rinse again with cold water.

Add rice to pan of boiling water you have just boiled in the kettle.

Cook for another few minutes until done.

Drain and rinse again in sieve with cold water and then rinse again with boiling water.

Method passed to me from my mother in law which never fails to give nice (non sticky) rice. She makes it even nicer by adding bits of very finely chopped onion and coriander to the cooking process - I am yet to master this part. It is the nicest basmati rice I have ever had.

For the record: Here's the deal.

1. Boil fourteen pans of water.

2. Place rice in a sieve.

3. Sieve under tap for 9 minutes or until your arm starts to ache slightly - whichever comes first.

4. Place rice into first boiling pan. Boil for one minute. Then sieve and transfer to pan two,three, etc etc.

5. When the rice comes out of the fourteenth pan, sieve again - then transfer to a baking tray.

6. Bake for ten minutes, then sieve.

7. Sieve.

8. Add chopped coriander and one mugful of turmeric. Serve.

Goodliz - some types of rice have a starchy coating and therefore benefit from an intermediate washing stage but Basmati is a polished, long grain rice with very little surface starch - otherwise my method above wouldn't work.

I suspect your mother-in-law's method was intended for another type of rice, of which there are many.

Anyway Sean,

I'm sure your rice cooker looks just fine next to your Juicer, 'Aerolatte' frother, electric tin opener, pestle and mortar and Pampered Chef onion mincer.

I expect the National Grid noticeably dips every time you knock-up a light supper.

This is my quick and easy way: Pop basmati rice in saucepan. Add cold water so the rice is just covered by the water. Add large knob of butter. Put lid on pan and bring to boil. Stir briefly to stop rice sticking to bottom, replace lid and simmer till the water is completely absorbed (keep an eye on it - it happens quickly). Take off heat and leave it for 5 minutes with lid on. Stir and serve with Lloyd Grossman balti sauce, some panfried chicken and a nan bread. This is my staple diet.