are you a biomedical scientist?

holloway

Is anyone out there a biomedical scientist with any knowledge as to how to complete the IBMS training portfolio? I'm a trainee in the microbiology department at King's and I'm at my wits end, I've never come across so much drivel...

' provide hard evidence of non-verbal communication with other service users considering the different ages, ethnicity and socio economic status of other members of staff'

quite what this has to with microbiology i don't know.

Incidentally, this is my first ever posting. Nice to meet you if you've been intrigued by the subject and have read this.

Nice to meet you too.

Are they asking for hard evidence to include things like punching someone's lights out when they can't get it across due to stroke, language barriers or something that they don't feel well? Or drawing a picture of a tree to show they'd like to go for a walk outside?

Hope we hear more from you!

Non-verbal communication could include rolling your eyes heavenward, yawning or poking your tongue out!! Guess it's by means of touch, facial expression, gesture, eye movement but whether the communication without speech would be different because of someone's age or ethnic origins I do not know. Seems a very funny question to me, but guess it's there for a reason. I take it you're learning about bacteria and the suchlike, nasty germs and things viewed under a microscope. Anyway, good luck with your training and sorry I couldn't really help.

Westerners talk to each other from arms length, and middle-easterners talk from elbows length apart.

Westerners do business first then play, middle-easterners wine and dine you first, then talk business.

Holloway wrote:- quite what this has to with microbiology i don't know.

They want to know if you will fit in as a 'team player' whilst propelling yourself to the canteen and/or the microbiology lab.

Can you interact with other members of staff, and so avoid employing someone who is insistent on wearing swastikas on their white coat a la prince Harry.