jury service

colin d.

Hi Colin

Your mother should have received a leaflet with her request to serve on the jury. This should clearly state:

"You are qualified for jury service if:

? you will be at least 18 years old, and under 70 years old, on the day that you

start your jury service; and

? you are registered as a parliamentary or local government elector; and

? you have lived in the United Kingdom, or the Channel Islands or the Isle of

Man for any period of at least 5 years since you were 13 years old."

within the 'Are you qualified for Jury Service' section.

Your mother will need to notify the Jury Central Summoning Bureau that she is over 70 - Contact details can be found on the jury summons.

Sorry to ask but why is she so worried?

I have lived in my flat 26 years and never been asked. And I'd consider it a duty.

If I appear naive I apologise but if she has her faculties and - indeed - if she does fit the age criteria I would have thought her experience of life would be useful in coming to a decision as to whether to hang the scrote or not...

It's only really affordable to do it if your employer still pays you! It's a great idea having people from all walks of life but the "compensation" payable for loss of earnings really isn't realistic living in London.

I was called last year and wouldn't have been able to pay my council tax and bills on the "compensation" let alone the London mandatory huge mortgage!