Old Kent Road cycle path

chrism

Do any forum readers use the shared cycle and pedestrian path on the Old Kent Road? The reason I ask is that now Southwark have taken away the rail separating pedestrians and cyclists, it has become much more dangerous. My partner hit someone who ran in front of him today, and I've noticed people are now more likely to walk on the cycle path (much of which is obscured anyway by piles of leaves covering up the line markings). What's more the cycle path markings don't extend into Rodney Road, as they used to, so there's no warning to pedestrians that bikes will enter the path here. Frankly, it's a mess, and has made this route more dangerous than before. I'm going to write to Southwark and LCC but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced problems here.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

It is a back route - it goes along the Heygate estate and then stops abruptly. The idea is that you cross over at a pedestrian crossing, then pick up the cycle route again that goes at the back of the Elephant (sorry, can't remember name of road) and brings you out near the Salvation Army headquarters. Across at the bike lights, then past SB uni. Tons of cyclists use it and it's really badly conceived.

Sorry to sound so nerdy but I'm fed up with rubbish planners implementing totally useless schemes which make travelling worse rather than better!

My boyfriend and I regularly use this route.

I must be nerdy too! I agree with you that the changes have made this cycle lane more dangerous. I also agree with the issues that you have identified. The other problem is that the white line down the middle is no longer down the middle. It is too near the wall.

I've been meaning to do an online complaint about the changes to TFL http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/reportastreetfault/newfault.aspx. It's really quick and easy to do. They allocate the complaint to the right entity e.g. TFL or Southwark etc and then (supposedly) email you with the outcome of your complaint. I'm going to do the complaint now!