Music Techies - Wireless Active Speakers - Logitech

Mick Mac

I recently bought a new laptop - Dell Inspiron? I am very disappointed with both the sound quality and volume. Have played around with the internal settings to no avail.

Someone suggested stand alone speakers and I have progressed to the concept of wireless speakers, that operate from a bluetooth dongle, which comes supplied with the speakers.

My question is that when buying speakers I used to look for wattage as a guide to good sound quality being maintained at higher volumes - the speakers I am looking at are "active" speakers, is this the reason there is no wattage quoted? and could the poor volume level from my laptop be translated to the speakers, thus limiting their output?

Reviews suggest these speakers produce good quailty sound, but want to be sure they produce decent volume, otherwise I'm back to square one.

Words of wisdom would be helpful. Thanks.

Logitech Speakers

'Active' just means they have a built-in amplifier.

Wattage is no real indication of volume.

Neither are any indication of quality sound.

However, most add-on (even crappy ones) will be better than your laptop sound.

If you really want to get 'good sound' (and portability of sound system isn't an issue) why not capitalise on what you already own and spend the cash on a bluetooth receiver that plugs into your existing hi-fi?

Apologies if this is too low-tech a solution, but I don't even bother with bluetooth. I have a long audio cable going from the headphone sockets to the AUX in a nearby amp/stereo

Cost = about the same as a pint

Quality = leagues better than any standalone speakers

Cons = well, there is a cable knocking around. But as I don't move the laptop that much, the cable is hidden behind trunking and shelves

Amazingly we don't have a decent existing hi fi.

My wife would like one for christmas, but even then it would be in a different room from where I normally use the computer (in the kitchen).

Before I buy these speakers how would I know they produce decent volume - I guess I need to take it on trust?

Thanks Sean - but yes I was hoping to keep it cable free in the kitchen, but will revert to that if speakers don't operate properly.

In any event an mp3 cable comes with the speakers for direct plug in if needed, and can do same for lap top if bluetooth does not work out.

Thanks.

Generally any n.1 (ie with a subwoofer) system will give you decent enough volume, though the quality will not be hifi quality if music is your main thing, but if it's mostly iplayer and games it'll be grand.

I can also see the attraction of wireless on a surround type system as the wires do get everywhere.

I've a little 2.1 thing that cost about 40 quid for my pc upstairs and does the job absolutely fine.

Well all is relative, isn't it?

If you're expecting something great, you'll be disappointed.

If you're expecting something terrible, you might be pleasantly surprised.

My suggestion would be to forget about wireless and get something like a Tivoli PAL, which I really rate, and just plug it in with a short minijack connector.

Great mono sound (stereo is for pansies) quality with decent volume.

Battery will last you all day if no mains connection is available.

Small enough to carry around.

Also a very good *proper* analogue radio tuner.

GREAT product.

file.php?20,file=7752

Certainly not!

Jez, I'm sure you favour highly polished boxes with five thousand multi-coloured flashing LEDS, wireless capability, a remote control and six adjacent speakers for optimal, er, stereo sound - all for under a ?100.

I rather my money went mostly on the components inside the case.

How about this one Jeremy?!

It's got blue LEDs and alien-style lettering, so it ought to be good. And it's a funny shape which is also important when it comes to sound. It's got 8-channel wireless capability, one of which might not even buzz like an angry bee when the microwave is on. Best of all, you can chain loads of them together, so you can listen to horrible sound in every room! (As long as you don't have walls or the like dividing your rooms, obviously).

file.php?20,file=7753

Here you go mick, these are quite funky and unobtrusive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Spot-2-1-Speakers-Interchangeable/dp/B000KVRBS8/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260286191&sr=1-28

Ignore bob's funky minimalism for those who mono their radios.

If you want pricey quality minimalism get one of these

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/musicalfidelity_a32.htm

I did look at your suggestion Mockney - the salt and pepper pots looked good but with wires and I'm going to experiment with the no wires version to see how it goes.

Bobs wireless ones were good too but were ?44 each and tiny and when they start saying you can use up to 40 at once without interference I could see the cost mounting up.....

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bobs wireless ones were good too

>

> (*closes eyes and slaps forehead*)

Lol - If they were not so small Bob I was seriously considering them. Honest.