I'm turning into my parents!

brum

charliecharlie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you are turning into your parents

>

> and I am not... (thought I better let you know in

> case you were worrying about it Brum...)

Hmmm ....are you quite sure? I'm not satisfied with your denial... a picture please.

MrBen Wrote:

> I bought my first pair of cords the other day.

> Because they are comfortable. Also wearing desert

> boots. Again only because they are comfortable.

> One step further to the grave....

Yes that's a sure enough sign - preferring comfort over style. I even do myself a hot water bottle at bed time. Oh dear.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> charliecharlie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > you are turning into your parents

> >

> > and I am not... (thought I better let you know

> in

> > case you were worrying about it Brum...)

>

>

> Wot.....No picture?

> There is always a picture....

Doubt Charlies would want to show us a picture of her folks now. :)

MrBen Wrote:

> I bought my first pair of cords the other day.

> Because they are comfortable. Also wearing desert

> boots. Again only because they are comfortable.

> One step further to the grave....

Well done sir. Welcome to the Club. C'mon in, there's a wingback and a single malt waiting for you by the fire. Now, I have some tweed swatches for you to peruse.

Did you corduroy is measured in "wales"? It's the space between the rows of cord. The lower the "wale" number, the thicker the width of the wale (i.e., 4-wale is much thicker than 11-wale). Wide wale is more commonly found on trousers; medium, narrow, and fine wale fabrics are usually found in garments used above the waist.

Weirdly, whilst I dress like an old man (and love it), my Dad dresses only in jeans, t-shirts and motorcycle gear.

Hmmm....?!

Great stuff Dave. I wonder if there is any correlation between the wale and age? For my first pair I have some boot cut needle cords from Levi's to ease me in. But I'm much looking forward to progressing to those big fat low wale velvety chunky cords with turn ups that my Dad wears at Christmas.

Edit - poor spelling as usual.

brum Wrote:

> I see a young chap today, dressed in his cool

> street clothing and I think, 'for heaven's sake,

> pull up your trousers - you're showing off your

> pants.' Anyone else share such thoughts?

Yeah me. I have two sons, 19 and 16 but thank god they don't dress like that. I don't get angry when I see supposedly fashionable types showing their undies off. Clearly there is a chasm between being fashionable and having class.

Embrace it. It's great trotting out all that stuff I used ti hate as a kid - "I want, never gets" is a particular favourite.

On the other hand, getting in from work and falling asleep in an armchair in front of the TV just like my stepdad used to) sends a slightly worrying message.

On a slightly different point, I asked one of these young ruffians on the bus a question just yesterday. You know the sort, hooded top, cap, trousers falling off etc. Well he looked me in the eye, politely answered my question and addressed me as sir. I nearly fell down the stairs! It shouldn?t be allowed.