one for the camera club

mattham

apologies in advance for the techno-geekery, but I'd be interested in hearing some opinions from the forum snappers, who I think there are a few.

Am considering an ultrawide zoom, as the crop sensor on my D200 isn't that great for landscapes. Whittled the choice down to the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or the Sigma 10-20 f3.5... both cost about the same. Does anybody have any experience with these focal lengths? I've never shot a 10mm or 11mm lens before, so not sure if a millimetre makes a massive difference. Does anyone know?

Have used Sigma kit before and found it reliable; anyone got any opinions/experience with Tokina?

Sounds like you're a serious photographer.

MrPR is a professional and there are several others in here.

Whilst you wait for one of the pros to help you, may I suggest The Camera Club as something you may enjoy being a member of? It's in Kennington, and MrPR had an exhibition there earlier this year which some of this EDF lot went to and enjoyed. And of course they may be able to help with your queries!

mattam I haven't used those with a cropped sensor but you probably already know that you'll need to multiply the focal length by 1.5 so that a 10mm becomes a 15mm. If the cost of those lenses is about the same and not much diff in optical quality then I'd go for the faster Tokina. How wide you go really depends on what your personal preference is. I quite like using a 14-24mm or 17-35 with a full frame sensor for landscapes.

I can also endorse PR's recommendation of The Camera Club. I've been a member for some time and have a studio booked for this weekend (they have 2). Great resource for all types of photographers.

I've had the Tokina 12-24 on a Nikon DSLR gear for a couple of years now. the main reason I got it against buying Nikon was it was about half the price, and for a lens I didn't plan on using that often, seemed like a good compromise. I really like it, solid build - I've carted round in my camera bagt for a couple of years and it works fine, have taken some lovely shots with it but you have to watch for lens flare. Good review of what you're after here http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm