Any fans of the ballet out there..?

*Bob*

I was thinking of slipping a couple of ballet tickets into TheOtherArf's Jesus sock this year, as she has often expressed and interest in going.

We are both ballet virgins and therefore know nothing of the mysterious world of flouncing about in tights.

Can anyone recommend a particular one..? And/or a particular company?

I'd like to avoid anything shamelessly mainstream (eg the endless Christmas cash-in performances of The Nutcracker performed by various ballet no-marks) or anything obscurely modern (ten bearded men in black leotards doing The Rite Of Spring, music performed exclusively on vintage synthesizers).

Something with good tunes, fancy costumes, wigs etc etc.

Doesn't have to be around in the very near future either. We can wait if there's something real sweet worth waiting for.

'Friends of The Ballet'.. I THANK YOU

Go see Carlos Acosta in Romeo and Juliet early next year. Maybe it'll be 'too mainstream' for you but at least you'll have a vague inkling of what the hells going on and Carlos Acosts is the best in the world right now. Other wise just look out for some short ballets at the Royal Opera House, they sometimes do 3 different dances or snippets from more famous ballets and are a good intro and taster to it.

There I've exhausted my knowledge of ballet, but have been twice this year to similar shows to the above and enjoyed both. Only problem with the ROH is the cheaper seats are a bit vertiginous for my liking.

Right feel free to rip the piss in that condescending way of yours.

Good - http://www.roh.org.uk/whatson/production.aspx?pid=10633

Vertigious.. great word.

Might avoid cheap seats in general from now on.. I don't want to pay ?55 for a ticket and still listen to people uncrinkling boiled sweet wrappers for two hours, which is what happen the last time we went to the theatre. Though I expect 'the ballet crowd' ought to be more respectful.

Mainstream (in the 'understandable' sense) is good.. just not mediocre mainstream.

Like the idea of R&J. Sounds romantic (extra brownie points). Will look into this Carlos fella.

Cheers.

PS: 'Condescending' is a bit over-used of late. Could I be a 'smug prick' instead? Just for a change.

I think Romeo and Juliet is a fairly safe bet. I personally wouldn't go and see Acosta, he is a great dancer, but I don't personally find him a particularly good actor. I'd personally prefer to see Kobborg or Edward Watson.

In March, the Royal Ballet are doing La Fille Mal Gardee, a sort of comic love story set in the country. I used to think that it is a bit twee, but is so beautifully done. That might be another option. Oh and it is a shorter evening than Romeo. You can be in the pub for 9.30pm.

There are quite a few seats with some kind of restriction on the view, as the Opera House is a horse shoe shaped.

If you can afford it, sitting downstairs is much nicer than the amphitheatre.

I absolutely love the Ballet. Personal favourites are Giselle (Romantic but sad) and the classic Swan Lake. But, if you are a ballet virgin and not too sure of what you might like (the ballet is not cheap), then I would suggest that you go for a performance which gives you highlights of several ballets. If you can wait till April, then the Ballet Nacional de Cuba will be performing Magia de la Danza at the London Coliseum. And if you particularly want to see Carlos Acosta too, he will be making an appearance in some of the performances (he is fabulous, and often referred to as the "Black Nureyev"). So: check this out:

http://www.eno.org/whats-on/whats-on.php?id=1395&season=forthcoming.

I shall be going with a friend. Whatever you see - enjoy!

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Acosta is sold out.

> The Romeos and associated Juliets on offer are:

>

> Mara Galeazzi / Federico Bonelli

>

> Leanne Benjamin / Edward Watson

>

> Marianela Nu?ez / Thiago Soares

Is this at the Coliseum? They still had tickets this morning.

Keef Wrote:

> Went to ballet at Sydney Opera House, and can

> confirm it's shite. Give me opera any day!

Did TheWifeThewife like it though?

I suppose in theory I could send her on her own, but I'm not sure that would be in the spirit of things.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Ah.. no, I'm looking at ROH, not Coliseum.

>

> Is one a better bet than the other?

Not necessarily - but have you seen my post above? The suggestion might just suit you (you being a virgin and all). Also, if you want to see Acosta...they might still have tickets...read my post and hurry up and get on that phone instead of messing about here! (*laughs*)

The idea of a 'highlights' production is appealing (for obvious reasons) but my concern would be that we wouldn't be getting a full ballet experience (in terms of production, staging, set, etc etc)..

Is the ballet so incomprehensible that we ought best to 'start small' so as not to be put-off?

I occasionally watch BBC4, if this helps.

*Bob* Wrote:

but my concern would be that

> we wouldn't be getting a full ballet experience

> (in terms of production, staging, set, etc etc)..

You still here? But in answer to your question...I have not found that to be the case...especially when an international company is touring.

>

> Is the ballet so incomprehensible that we ought

> best to 'start small' so as not to be put-off?

Again, no, not at all...but ballet isn't for everybody...my own darling hubby fell asleep and SNORED at the ROH of all places (much to the disgust of the relatively stuck-up patrons around us) the first (and last) time he attended! And friends I have been with have been bored.

>

>

> I occasionally watch BBC4, if this helps.

This doesn't help...but if you are worried about not seeing a full-length ballet AND you wish to see Acosta...then ring up the Coliseum NOW! They are showing other ballets - e.g. Swan lake, Sleeping beauty etc...I merely mentioned the mixed bill to be helpful. (Failed there!). Now go!