What will be left out for Santa this year?

Mick Mac

What's the trend? Less is more due to credit crunch? or generosity in adversity?

My kids have expressed an interest in giving santa some brandy - and guess what we are planning to have some good stuff in for Christmas - and also, some rich dark chocolate to sit with it and maybe some good coffee.

My kids don't ever know if they have done enough. - what else could they do for Santa?

Obviously I'm independent. Suggest whatever you want, I'll just pay for the white bearded tosser to get drunk.

Father Christmas is actually the older name when over the winter solstice the Germanic god Woden (Odin to the Norse) would be represented by a fat bearded guy riding an eight legged horse who brought presents to children. People refered to him as winter fater or something like that.

Santa Claus is the Christianised name adopted from the Turkish Saint Nicolas.

Where I'm from in Ireland(South East) it's Santa Clause, but usually shortened to 'Santy'. My kids tend to look blankly at their Irish cousins when asked what they're getting from Santy. Whether we leave a nice glass of whiskey or some milk and biscuits tends to be dictated by how many work drinks we think Santy has been to in the run up to Christmas...

My son Samuel ( 5 ) & myself had this conversation.

" Dad ,Santa lands on the roof with his reindeer & delivers the presents down the chimney ?"

" Yes, he does "

"Santa eats a bit of the mince pie, doesn't he ?"

" Yes, he does "

"And his reindeer eats some carrot ? "

I nod.

"But his reindeer doesn't come down the chimney "

"No he doesn't, no"

I shake my head...

"So how does he eat his carrot & leave some down here?"

I shrug my shoulders.

"That's a bit weird isn't it ?"

I do the blank face here.

"Well, I think Santa takes it up onto the roof for him" I say.

" .....then brings back the end bit after, that's stupid " Is his reply.

"Errrm..... !"

W**F

This is the first year in our household that there's stuff being left out for Santa as our eldest is almost starting to understand (nearly 3). So Santa will be mainly dining on Quality Street chocolates and washing it down with lager. And there's a carrot for the reindeer. What's the accepted carrot etiquette? Snap a bit off, or bite it?