It's Chirstmas 2009... Spare a thought

KalamityKel

Some of you will remember the following thread I posted around this time last year. I am resurrecting it in hope that those who may have forgotten themselves over the Christmas period, gotten into the idea that the world revolves around themselves and nothing else matters, wake up and realise there are many more people out there in the world who are certainly worse off.

I do apologise in advance for stirring sad memories for some.

Posted by: KalamityKel 23 December, 2008 08:19

Christmas is almost here, everyone's running around stressed out thinking of the turkey that needs to either be bought or defrosted, the dog has chewed and ripped a pile of the presents left in the corner, the kids have nearly demolished the Christmas tree when trying to put the fairy on top, you feel slightly sniffly (could this be the beginnings of man flu?!!) and grandma is complaining there's not enough chocolate on these nuts... oh dear what to do it's soooo stressful! Why is it always YOU that has a tough time at Christmas? Is it really JUST you? Are you really that hard done by? What about others out there who may be having a worse time of it this year?

This year has certainly been a tough one for myself and family but instead of feeling sorry for myself I shall be thinking of those much less fortunate than me.

I shall be thinking in particular of my brother and his family who, after losing his house in a fire, is technically homeless, has no belongings, no toys or clothes for the kids and also lost all but one of his beloved cats. I shall be thinking of all the support friends and neighbours (all of whom are not particularly well off) have shown to all those effected and the closeness/unity is has created. Also, giving my thanks to the fire services who did such a wonderful and hard job even when reviving little Max (kitten) and how the worst case scenario was avoided - instead of lost pets it could have been body bags being brought out of the now condemed building.

I shall also be thinking of those who have recently lost loved ones either through death or separation/broken down relationships. Of those who've lost jobs.

Of those whose child who has lost touch with parents and family leaving them with no knowledge as to their where abouts or well being. Who have also left children of their own wondering where they've gone. Of those who couldn't handle life and needed to escape and help which wasn't available.

Those who wont be having the turkey, roast potatoes, gravy, Christmas pud, the works but will have to settle with just baked beans on toast as the weeks takings just wasn't enough to stretch to spaghetti hoops. Who will be sitting in the back room of their house huddling together to keep warm.

I shall be thinking of many different people in different circumstances and I shall look at myself and think myself lucky I have all that I do and will never be ungrateful, especially at this time of year.

For me, this year has been more positive than last year but still certainly not without its own trials. I certainly look around and think myself very lucky for all I have.