Where to buy trad shaving soap and dish locally

sanity girl

I want to get my dad some new shaving soap, the kind that comes in a wooden dish with a lid, and just wondered if anyone knew if there was a shop that sold this locally. I tried John Lewis but they only had some very expensive and overly smelly Floris stuff that he wouldn't have liked. Can anyone help?

In further further man grooming news....

This site still doing pre christmas delivery...

Sanity Girl, you may want to consider shaving cream rather than shaving soap. I know people can get a bit stuck in their ways but this stuff is far better than either soap or shaving foam or gel. Is thicker and gives a very confortable shave and comes in a pot to be used with a brush or applied by hand. I've been getting it for a couple of years, but its really good, you don't really feel the blade - your dad should give it a try.

Got a proper shaving brush for my birthday, and can confirm that the combination of brush with Trumpers shaving cream produces a smooth shave and limited rash (which is something I suffer from). The various shaving foams, gels, oils, face washes etc that I have used over the years have been consigned to the bin. Our Grandfathers (and mothers) really did know best. It even smells the business - like a proper barbers shop!

There are better things to shave with than soap and brush, but you need to be rich.

Kingshave is the best, from Boots or perhaps a large supermarket, no brush necessary, and it costs a fiver for a tube the same size as toothpaste.

It is the best present for anyone who suffers from shaving rash, and it does not block the Mach3 like conventional soap or cream.

A Mach3 is also an essential razor for a smooth close shave, and a very practical and useful present, assuming he doesn't already use one.

• 1 month later...

I've started using a Traditional Gentleman's Barbers in Addiscombe called The Valet. They do a full-on hot towel, open razor shave called the 'Signature Treatment' which lasts nearly an hour and is about a third of the price you'd pay in the west end.

They also have a good range of male grooming products. For some more info on the best Traditional Male Grooming Salon and Barbers in South London.