Does size really matter?

The Eye

For over a decade now men and women have been judged by the size of their mobile phone. In the early naughties everyone in classrooms and offices alike was terrified of being lumbered with a phone that would invoke that embarressing shrill: "Ha, ha. Look at the size of that brick. You could slip a disc humping that thing about!" Now it seems, with the introduction of the miraculous iphone that size is no longer an issue when purchasing a new phone.

But to get a fair picture of current trends, we have to look at each genders requirements in detail.

Men, as practical creatures, have traditionally favoured strong and sturdy equipment in order to 'get the job done'. So the length and girth of the early Nokia 2110 with it extendable ariel and no-fuss keypad certainly impressed the others with it's strong silent exterior that held a complex inside no one quite yet understood. It also gave off the impression you were amply provided for if you carried it in your trouser pocket.

Women, as decisive creatures, have always stood firm by the daintier of mobiles. This is dictated not by any means of practicality, but simply because they want more room in their handbags. Pretty obvious really.

However...

With the recent availability of the internet from service providers, a new trend is now emerging, a compromise, for the sake of argument. Although many still strive to find that phone the size of a fingernail, most are now settling for middle ground hovering around the 5 inch region for length by about 3 inches in width. A startling comparison to earlier generations who saw no shame in strutting about with a seven incher.

So today, although noted, size is debatable at best. So the old cliche still stands: Quality over quantity.

I was being facetious.

Sorry.

The opening statement "For over a decade now men and women have been judged by the size of their mobile phone" got me because you don't state your sources, and it seems like it's just your opinion.

Then you go and talk gender. And the stereotyping thing never works. Foe starters this woman doesn't have a handbag. Blackberries are bigger than most regular mobiles but I would say in my non scientific experience more women have them than men.

It's a bit "so what" as a discussion in my humble opinion.

"I was being facetious. Sorry."

Not at all Rose...not at all.

"The opening statement "For over a decade now men and women have been judged by the size of their mobile phone" got me because you don't state your sources, and it seems like it's just your opinion."

Nuts magazine and the British Medical Journal.

"Then you go and talk gender."

Have to have both sides Rose, can't let them accuse you of being bias now can you.

"And the stereotyping thing never works."

Have you ever read Nuts magazine?

"Foe starters this woman doesn't have a handbag."

Really? Why, what's wrong with you?

"Blackberries are bigger than most regular mobiles but I would say in my non scientific experience more women have them than men."

Woah there little lady. Have you ever encountered a Nokia 2110? They build houses with 'em these days.

"It's a bit "so what" as a discussion in my humble opinion."

Yeah, so sue me.

"I haven't got a handbag because I can't find one big enough to put my motorcycle helmet in it."

Now that's what I call a woman!!! Surely though, your paniers must be able to accomodate even the most solid Nokia. Or perish the thought...a Motorola!!!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nope, my mobile goes in a pocket deep down in my

> waterproof trousers and I set it to vibrate.

> What with that and the nice little vibrate under

> the seat, who needs men or any of their appendages

> including their mobiles?

Oh my Lawd!