Do you use a Freedom Pass?

Eileen

I do and it is a wonderful thing. It really is a freedom pass, something that does live up to its name. It gives a real feeling of seamless travel between various travel modes, in spite of the sometimes poor interworking between the companies that operate these different systems. It also helps for me to strengthen the personal feeling of being a Londoner. All that is on top of the reduction in cost of using London's travel system: this is very expensive if you can?t take advantage of discounts available to the very regular commuter traveller, as well as being on a reduced income.

So if you use it and value it, or will be eligible some time soon, you might like to see this website MayorWatch which gives an excellent summary of two current issues:

? The problems of travelling with it when bus and underground (run by TfL) take the Pass before 9.30am but overground rail (run by train companies) doesn?t. Much delayed negotiations between TfL and the train companies, to remove this difference, will now start after Easter 2010.

? The threat to the Freedom Pass itself from Government cuts in the subsidy to London Borough councils. The webpage reports on the war of words and possibly worse (ie real cuts).

I have been using a freedom pass for the last 9 months and ,as you say Eileen, it really gives a feeling of freedom because not only can you hop readily from one mode of transport to another, but also you don't have to worry about renewing every week/month or whatever.

When you travel outside the London area even the buses are restricted to journeys after 9:30 am as was the case in London.

Unfortunately I don't think Boris will be a staunch defender of our current concessions, bearing in mind that he was cornered into implementing this by Ken Livingstone in the mayoral election campaign.

A couple of months ago at Victoria station I was rushing to catch the next train to Denmark Hill which was due to depart in less than a minute, but the ticket barrier would not let me through - I tried another one,same problem.

The old guy on the barrier asked me if I had a Pay as you go card. I shouted "no, it's a freedom pass and I'm trying to get that train". I was in such a panic that he let me through and I just made it on to the train as the doors were closing.

It was only after I got off at Denmark Hill and took my freedom pass out for the bus that I realised why the pass wouldn't work at Victoria - I had been on a night shift and the train was the 6:41 AM!

As you say Keef : "The train thing is a real bugger in the mornings"!

Yup - I used to call it "The old git's pass". Now I've got one of my own I suppose I shouldn't call it that but unfortunately it seems even more appropriate now - I seem to have become more of a moaning old git since getting it. (They are also issued to others e.g. disabled etc) PS men get it at 60 (maybe something to do with the equality laws) which means that ,as in my case,men who are still working and earning are getting free travel.I originally felt somewhat guilty over this, but then as people told me I've been paying income tax for 44 years and Southwark council tax since 1979, and this is the first thing I seem to have got out of it.Prior to getting my pass there were many occasions when I got on the bus and seemed to be the only bugger who was actually paying to do so.

It's nothing to do with claiming disability benefits as such. There is an Older Persons pass, and a Disabled Persons pass. I get one because I was registered partially sighted as a baby. I have never claimed any benefits, but I'm not going to say no to a freedom pass.

I also get a Freedom Pass for a disability but being 60 next month have been advised to get the 'oldies' one as covers out of London transport.

Men qualify at 60, in line with retirement age for women - what will happen when compulsary retirement age is 65 plus for both sexes?

Three types of Freedom Pass.

National Order Person Pass - currently 60 years but planned to increase this starting age with time.

National Statutory Disabled Pass - generally covers phyiscal disabilities.

London-only Discretionary Disabled Pass - only a few London Boroughs offer this and Southwark is one of them.

Applications can start in 4 days time on Monday.

I'm not sure you have to actually apply for a renewal, I just got a letter saying I automatically get a renewal, so would be hearing from them soon. I imagine the older persons pass should be the same. Surely it's just the descretionary ones that should have to reapply isn't it?

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just found out you have to apply within certain

> dates depending on what letter your surname starts

> with - apparently I can't apply for a renewal till

> February! How are you supposed to remember this!!

The expiry date is on your bus pass so no need to remember .There is a list in the post office as to when you can apply.

reetpetite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> The expiry date is on your bus pass so no need to

> remember .There is a list in the post office as to

> when you can apply.

xxxxxxx

No, apparently they are changing the system.

See here

Mine expires at the end of March, but I have to renew it at the start of February, and it will then last for five years. See the link above.

Bloody hell people, you are getting something for nothing, stop bloody moaning! If you miss your date, you can still get your pass, they just ask you to do it at a certain time to make their lives a bit easier, as we are talking thousands of people here!

I used to sit near the team who did the passes for Greenwich, when I worked for their social services, and believe me, they were unbelievably busy at renewal time!