Quick legal advice please

PeckhamRose

Is it illegal to open a letter sent to your address delivered through your letterbox but the name is someone you have never heard of even if you've lived there over twenty years?

I have done just this, only to find the letter was from Revenue Protection Support Services demanding money off someone for travelling on the train without the right fare. They want ?18. I wrote to the company and said this person does not live here and now they've written back ignoring the letter saying they'll take this person to court.

I checked websites and one says it is illegal to open a letter not addressed to you. But I did not know that when I opened the letters and anyway, I didn't ignore it - I did reply to the company. Also, I never believe what debt collection agencies tell me, such as private parking area companies.

Anyway, anyone know the facts here?

I open the baliff letters that keep coming for the previous occupant but I don't want someone taking away all my stuff. My mum said there's some form that exists (no idea where you get it from though) that you send to somewhere to get only your name associated with the property. I think it's quite a common problem. Sorry that wasn't much help but I tried! Good luck

Not my area of law but I have a vague recollection from law degree / law school days that it is technically illegal to open post addressed to another even if sent to your address.

I would suggest returning to sender as not known at this address. If the sender is clear from the envelope call them and and advise them that this has happened and the named person does not live there and hasn't for at least 20 years.

Although I do vaguely remember it is illegal, I would be very surprised if any action were taken in circumstances as you describe!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Malumbu, by that measure are police efforts to cut down on anti-social driving by issuing tickets and fines a token effort as well? Surely punitive measures for cyclists breaking the rules will encourage them not to break the rules again? A bit like when you got stopped and taken into the cab of an HGV. The police are currently using that tactic to show those who break the rules cycling that it might lead them to being hit by a lorry due to the driver's having limited vision - the cycling equivalent of a speed awareness course for drivers.    When they stopped you was it because you had broken a rule or was it just more of an education programme and they asked you to take a look and did it change your cycling behaviour in any way? As I said previously there are those who break the rules on cycling out of ignorance (and those out of arrogance) and I am sure they are using HGVs to educate those in the ignorance category and then hitting those in the arrogance category with the PCNs.    
    • Good that PETA is on it but can we add our voices to the fight against this horrible practice? I’m still shocked! A petition maybe? Happy to raise to the RSPCA but don’t want to duplicate efforts. I’ve signed campaigns from RSPCA before which sends it directly to your councillor
    • Yes, I'm aware of that. I believe the brood was five to begin with. However they are almost adult size now so not the prey of rats any longer. 
    • Happy to recommend Greg. Lovely guy and a really hard worker, high standard of work, clean and tidy too. Greg sorted out a tricky water tank problem in a tight space in a loft, staying late into the evening to get the correct parts and fix the problem. Thanks Greg!
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In