File Sharing? Priceless:the new protest track from Sly and Reggie

reggie

Much as I respect your brand of facile idiocy reggie, you reached a new low there.

None of the clicks work, I saw your wordpress feature, which said nothing, and following links sent me in a circle.

I'm sure that niggling my middle class logic will send you and your pot smoking friends into a paroxysm of giggles, but gosh, you'll find it difficult to get a fan base.

I was thinking of you Huguenot when launching this campaign and thought you might like this one...seriously.

It is the campaign that is least likely, as you say, to get a fan base and therefore could be the most noble in your eyes.

No no no! :))

I was being literal.

I can't see it, hear it, whatever it is. Not because I'm blind or deaf, but because the links send me in a circle. I'm probably being stupid, but it seems to want to make me pay a million, which is a bit ambitious.

I meant, you'll find it difficult to get a fanbase if they can't see it or hear it.

How do I see it or hear it? Can't you put it on youtube or something?

There's a guy on trial at the moment in the UK for illegal file sharing who ran the OINK bit torrent site.

Police found ?200,000 in his paypal account from subscribers.

Nice work if you can get it but illegal file sharing aint about your human rights.

No the track is real, we recorded it last week.

The campaign is about choice.

Once a piece of creative work is on the web,its creator has no control over it.

The consumer can then decide to get it for free or pay for it.

So if you want the track 'Priceless' by Sly and Reggie it costs ?1,000,000.

And its not available anywhere else.

Interesting idea this one, it's a bit like trees falling in woods.

Presumably this track is unlikely to attract its reserve price, which means no purchase will be made, and no punter gets to hear it.

The protest can't be sustained unless the track is never released - because if it is, the absence of the 1m purchase will have prompted free distribution, and proven that the internet can influence an artist's choices over their music distribution even when they DON'T put it on the web.

Hence the creator would never have actually had any control over it.

However, control is exercised if the music is not released, but then how can we be sure that there was ever a bit of music in the first place? Without the music, the artists can't demonstrate control, so the original premise is lost anyway.

Music sharing has been around for years (else those dual cassette machines had a market that I never knew about). Nowadays it has gone global and very, very easy. The old music business model is now, therefore, broken. Actual CDs still have value, but paid-for downloads will either have to be DRM crippled (and therefore of lower value) or non-DRM'd and therefore shareable.

DRM annoys people. People (i.e. consumers) are finding out that the track you paid full price for is only playable on one machine and if that breaks, you've lost your cash. People (consumers) hate the fact that the DVD they bought in the US won't play at home. Even DRM is fairly useless in the long term - the techies are always one step ahead, DMCA type laws or otherwise.

The logical conclusion is that artists in the future will have to to find a new business model. Probably it will be to treat releases as advertising for their live shows, rather than an income stream, with some revenue from CD's and services like YouTube and Spotify.

Pandora has already opened the box, and that is your only Hope.

But, reggie, you don't have the control you think. It's essentially the same as saying, "I've found a way to keep my children completely safe. I lock them in the cellar 24/7".

Musicians rarely just like to play to themselves - they like to show their talents off to the world. Due to your aversion to the downloading set, you are now prevented from showing that song off to the world - so you have, in essence, lost control. You've placed a price upon your song and the world has rejected it. The world is no worse off, but you now have a song no one will hear. You've taken your bat and ball and gone home, so now no one gets to play. Including you.