Rod Liddle to become Indy editor

SeanMacGabhann

Indeed it looks like a long way off being a done deal thank goodness.

Mind you if it carries on with tabloid trash like http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/basshunter-too-clingy-says-big-brother-housemate-katia-1864368.html then I might have to consider boycotting it regardless.

For a paper that said it wouldn't even do royal reporting, how low is schleb big brother reporting sinking?!?

When this monumental event happens the amount of seizures and strokes in East Dulwich is going to hit an all time high.

Lets be honest most news papers are now crap as they have all sacked so many staff and pick up most of their news via google and the AP.

The only papers worth reading are the FT and Evening Standard for gossip, although now I read far more on-line that I do IRL.

I wonder how many people he will offend with his first op ed, its bound to be sexist racist and homophobic.

Unfortunately with the Newspaper industry currently in a seemingly terminal nosedive directly linked to reduced income, the only recourse left to the qualities is to appeal to a broader readershit(heh, typo?)in the hope of riding out the storm. I indulge in an Observer on a Sunday if its got that Food supplement thingy & usually hide a copy of Razzle deep within its pages.

I quite like Rod Liddle's writing, in the vein of Julie Burchill he's not afraid to shake things up a bit. Not sure whether he would make a great Editor of a national daily though.

He was of course a resident of these parts at one point.

I had a bit of a chat with him down the CPT once. He's actually a nice enough bloke, we talked about his trip to Israel and Palestine and the thoughtful docementary he made.

His column however is rubbish and yes I think he does do it on purpose.

Mind you I can't stand Julie Burchill's writing either, but I have a feeling she'd be a terrible erstwhile drinking companion down the pub.

In all reality, on the whole all he's guilty of is spending too much time on one of the more traditionally supported footbal teams' forums and baiting Guardinitsas online by challemging orthodox liberal views...ain't so bad way to behave ;-).

Good piece on this in yesterday's Observer (which I accidentally bought instead of the NOTW) which concluded the freedom of speech the middleclass parts of internet is 'free' as long as you tow the liberal line...if you don't as a journalist/public face they'll be massive twitter/facebook campaigns launched against you...