Virgin Media

AlfredHates

If I'm being honest they've been a pain on the backside since signing up last September. And just as things were going fine I've no had broadband for most of today, and it's still not working. If this is the kind of service you're looking to pay for then sgn rght up!

Potential error, but from past experienced non of these suppliers are faultless. Our initial problems were mistakes made at installation, which led to endless phone calls sorting out billing errors - never any fun. Since then we've had many occasions of slow broadband and now complete disconnection. I rang virgin just now and apparently their engineers are currently fixing the problem in the 'south London area'. Yeh right.

I am with Virgin. it went down for about 20 mins yesterday eve but was sorted super quick. I think there have only been a handful of occasions in the last 3 years when I have lost service, max time about 24 hours due to an outage in the area (that was late last year).

Ive not really had any trouble at all...... other than downgrading TV which took longer than it

really should.

If you have an O2 mobile contract you can get their (up to 8 Meg) broadband for ?7.50 per month. I've had this since July 08 and it's always been reliable.

The only thing I would say about it (and this would apply to all suppliers) is, if you're using the wireless facility and have reliability problems, consider changing the channel i.e do not use channels 1,6 or 11 because they can get very congested which causes the signal to drop.

• 1 month later...

I am on 20meg virgin broadband (in nunhead). Over the last 2-3 weeks it has been quite slow for a lot of the time typified by problems with streaming media. i lost all connection last week Tuesday as arranged an engineer. The connection came back so the engineer was cancelled. When I talked to tech support they mumbled something about there being a problem with the 50meg service in the area but not the 20meg.

As tech support did not help tweeted virginmedia. After giving them some details I got the following response

"Really appreciate you sending us details of your difficulties, not good

to hear of your experience.

Having investigated this for you I've found that there is a fault in

your area, this fault has been picked up by our engineers but isn't easy

to fix. This issue is related to a large service use increase in your

area, a rise that we just didn't predict.

As I say work is underway as we speak, however due to the complexity of

the fault we are looking at the end of April before full service will

resume. I've looked into different ways of resolving this and

downgrading your service is not one of them, the only resolution is once

the engineers have completed there work.

I appreciate this isn't the answer you were looking for, I just wanted

to be honest with you so you could view your options. Please let me know

if there are any further queries or questions you have."

When we have had problems before there have also been similar problems in ED so thought I would share the info.

I will just stick it out until its fixed as I am generally pretty happy with the service.

Does anyone have their phone service too? It bugs me that their telephone bills only itemise calls over 50p. Though we hardly ever use the landline during the day and pay for free evening and week-end calls, there always seems to be a few quid added for < 50p calls. I asked them a month ago to alter my bill but the latest one is just the same as the previous ones. I don't know is these charges are legit or not but if you multiply it by the amount of customers they have then it must be quite a bit of money being paid to them without any apparent justification!