Like your Mexican?

benjaminty

Hi All,

Just want to spread the word about this place. Whilst I love Wahaca (not the queues) and Chalangos is OK if desparate, I've found something a little more authentic without being an old school stodgefest! I discovered this place in November when forced to move to a flat in Borough temporarily whilst my house is being rebuilt. My house will be ready next month but I'm not sure I can live so far from this place.

El Vergel started off as a tiny mexican cafe in a side street in Borough below my flat and have recently moved to a larger premises on Southwark Bridge Road.

Opening times are a little odd but they are now open Saturday nights.

They do a mean mexican breakfast of refried beans, spicy piquante scrambled eggs, fried chorizo and village bread and plenty of specials... check the website for the full menu.

http://www.elvergel.co.uk/

Enjoy!

the courts were their main source of income and hence the late opening and early closing times focussing on lunches .... but now they have moved you get a broader cross sectionof clientele ... it's a v decent alernative to Borough market when you can't feel your hands on Thursday / Friday lunchtime.

Yes I'd say it's pretty child friendly

wow... El Vergel... it's still there... I love that place... I used to rent a studio just round the corner in Southwark Bridge Road... they had this amazing steak thing with a salsa sauce/chopped arrangement (can't remember what was in it... onions and sugar/lime juice and fresh herbs and stuff) that was the most tasty thing you ever did try ....

total YUM...I'd forgotten about all about...

it used to only be open in the day time though... any change to this Benjaminty???

benjaminty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

a flat in Borough temporarily whilst my house is being rebuilt. My

house will be ready next month

Relax

No matter how many refried beans you eat, or how many "chimmy changas " you consume, don't believe the house will be ready next month, It won't. Builders believe their own lies / truth

Accept it now & plan your ventures to this retreat while you can.

It may be "cheap" but have you had the "EXTRAS" bill on the house, it may be "pot noodle" time soon

Enjoy!

W**F

They can do all the extras they want! Major flood from loft conversion down to basement = very expensive Household and Contents claim. The cost of my excesses have not as yet impacted my eating habits thank god.

I reckon I have around 8 more visits before I leave but I may up frequency towards to end. I guess it's like going on a drug binge before going into rehab.... only I may actually be eating cold turkey when I get home.

anapau Wrote:

> woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Oh I like mexican ( see how seamlessly I wove

> that

> > in ) food

> >

> >

> > Specially "Chilly con Carne"

>

> That's not really mexican

Anapau

Oh dear .....

"Wooop wooop" "ding ding" *great big QI stylee siren goes off*

Of course "Chilli Con Carne" isn't Mexican "everyone" knows that

W**F

*re-sets rod*

benjaminty Wrote:

> the website states webber street on the front

> page. Where Webber meets Great Suffolk Street and

> Southwark Bridge Road.

>

> 132 Webber street se1 0ql

Thanks. I downloaded the menu and it has Lant Street on that.