Censorship....good or bad?

TonyQuinn

Absolutely right - tell me where you live and I'll come and paste my views all over your walls - and be upset if you tear them down and censor me. What right would you have to censor my views and those of any one else who wants to post on your walls - er, apart from them being your walls, I suppose.

No one is making any decisions about what matters to ED residents, someone is making decisions about the administration of this particular forum. If anybody (including me) doesn't like those decisions they can go elsewhere. Tony, are you offering to run this forum? Or an alternative forum? Go ahead, you are free to do so.

No DaveR, i have no interest in running this forum but do think this forum contributes a lot to our little spot in town. I think most people only look at the main page....I have never looked in the Lounge. And I think that getting rid of my issue about train services around our hood diminishes the potential for us to make a meaningful difference. There's an inconsistency here...we have winter travel updates etc on the front page, but not something that wants to make our winter travel better. That's all.

Is it apt that we should give so much power to one individual about what matters to residents of East Dulwich or not? Answers on a postcard please cos I doubt this missive will last long?

His gaff - he makes the rules. If the good residents of ED don't like it, they can create their own. Seems like they do rather like it around here, though.

Tony, if you substituted your last post for the first one you may get more sympathy

For what it's worth, I agree with you in principle - this is clearly a local issue rather than a general talking point. Having said that, there has been some debate in the past about how strictly the "ED issues" should be policed, and I guess the easiest way is to say SE22 only.

I think a lot of people do look in the Lounge - maybe Admin can tell us?

Tony, if your topic is not East Dulwich specific it does not belong in the main section, it's just the way the forum is constructed. That is not censorship, it is just being organised.

I took the winter travel update thread as a sort of emergency measure which avoided the beginning of zillions of little threads about winter travel updates, school closures, which roads were safe to walk on, which roads were gritted and when the rubbish would be collected. Very East Dulwich specific.

Whilst we are on the topic of the correct areas to post, where should 'Lost and Found' threads be placed? All trace of my recent post "School Shoe Found On Beauval Road" was moved to the For Sale Section?! Not a problem for it to be moved because I understand that these do clutter up the main section but where should they go? Would a new Lost/Found section be useful considering how many cats, mobiles, ipods, shoes, baby items etc etc need to be reunited with their owners?

• Administrator

Tony

The General ED issues / gossip... section is for issues specific to East Dulwich. General, worldly issues such as the price of fuel, global warming, Government policies, strikes, petitions against train companies and Simon Cowell's sexuality do affect people in East Dulwich but they are not specific to East Dulwich. It is a fine line sometimes and we do make wrong decisions but our aim is to try and keep it as local as possible.

Tony is exhibiting all the signs of stress of a regular FCC commuter and I can absolutely sympathise, it's an abysmal service and has been getting worse for the last 4 months, with the service problems only compounded by the bad weather.

Perhaps if the original post had mentioned the petition in relation to Denmark hill station it perhaps could have remiained where it was. It's certainly and issue for me and shoudl be an ED issue for anyone who uses the service so I find it a bit petty that it couldn't have stayed in the other section for a bit longer. But then it aint my forum.

For anyone who is interested in the issues then it is worth a look at the First Crapital Connect site and consider signing the petition.

First Capital Services such as the Denmark to Farringdon route which I use (17 minute journey) should be a welcome addition for ED commuters and it would be a shame if the issue gets lost because of the the way its been posted and then moved by admin.

Indeed, I am highly stressed about the daily commute and urge everyone again to sign the petition. Stand up for your rights for an adequate train service...no other European nation would put up with this garbage. There would be riots, burning of carriages, something going on.

Here is the petition once again.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FirstCC/