Whisky connoisseurs, please could you advise me...

Mark

I want to buy a close friend a lovely bottle of single malt whisky for his birthday tonight. I know nothing about the stuff apart from the fact it tastes rough, so I'm looking for recommendations about what to buy and where to buy it. I want to give it to him tonight so online/mail order's out the question but I can get into town if I need to go somewhere special.

Thanks in advance.

edited to remove the 'e' from whiskey before some pedant notices, oh, too late.

[edited once]

Hi Mark

Not to be a pedant, but I presume you want a single malt scotch whisky not a whiskey (which would imply Irish or American)?

That being the case and knowing what the shops in the local area stock, I'd recommend the 15 year old Lagavullin which Bossman Wines are selling for ?40 at the moment.

It's an Islay whisky which are the most strongly flavoured of all the single malts. Peaty, smoky aromas abound.

If you were looking at American bourbon then Woodford Reserve is a decent buy although I seem to remember Green&Blue having an interesting bottle a while ago. They also stock Connemara(sp?) Irish Whiskey which is delicious in a very smooth and mellow way. Far, far different to the Lagavullin. Should be about ?25-30.

Hope that helps.

Most single malts are about ?25 per bottle. If that is your price range I'd go for Laphroaig - its got a very distintive peaty taste. You can easily pick this up in an ED off licence

Laphroaig

Or - you can get a 40 year old for ?2000!!!

Or another nice one is Balvenie

Balvenie

[Can't disagree with the Glenfarclas 30 year old either but you are looking at ?100+ for that one]

I know absolutely sod-all about whisky (or is it whiskey)...but I believe Mick Mac, Declan and possibly woofmarkthedog are quite knowledgeable in that area...if still stuck later, you could PM them. Just an idea (probably a daft one but an idea nevertheless).

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know absolutely sod-all about whisky (or is it

> whiskey)...but I believe Mick Mac, Declan and

> possibly woofmarkthedog are quite knowledgeable in

> that area...if still stuck later, you could PM

> them. Just an idea (probably a daft one but an

> idea nevertheless).

Mark did say he was looking for a connoisseur - to be honest I just drink the stuff. I know the ones I like though. Knowledgeable is a nice compliment, LM.

Mark - if your friend is into whiskey he may have tried a lot of the scottish ones already so Bushmills may be worth a try. Historically its the oldest licennsed distillery in the world (1608) - so it comes with a bit of history. As JSW said it does a 10 year old malt.

Would second Balvennie, Laphroaig is lovely but not to everyones taste. Knockando is another nice one.

My aberdonian uncle swears by macallans, saying very little is sold outside of Scotland because scotch people know to keep it all for themselves.

Don't knock the blends, theyre blended for a reason because people often find the distinctive peatiness, smokiness etc offputting and a good blender will attain a delicate balanc between those stronger elements.

Dewar's very good, Lawson's I also recommend. In fact Bell's did surprisingly well at a blind tasting my brother (a wine buyer, but dabbles innother booze) attended much to the surprise of those present.

I was actually answering your question LM :X

Agree with Mockney on blends - malts can be great but a lot of false=connoisseurship in whisky especially around blends they can be excellent but the simplistic view is single malts are always better

???? Wrote:

> I was actually answering your question LM :X

*laughs*

Yes, and I'm exceedingly grateful for the highly informative post...I never knew...I'd always supposed that one or the other was incorrectly spelt. Anyway, what's with the grumpy face? (*suddenly recalls the 100s game situation*)...ahhhh

hee hee

kpc Wrote:

> Im a big fan of Bruichladdich - another Islay malt

> but not as peaty as most and with floral

> undertones.

Except for their Octomore release which is, officially, the world's peatiest whisky. Mmmm.

I'm off to Islay this summer for a week. 7 distilleries in 7 days. Bring it on.

david_carnell Wrote:

>

> Except for their Octomore release which is,

> officially, the world's peatiest whisky. Mmmm.

>

> I'm off to Islay this summer for a week. 7

> distilleries in 7 days. Bring it on.

They do seem to be going in for some 'boutique' malts - not sure I'm in favour of this trend.

Your hols sound fun. Should post pics of your progress (or decline).

Agree with Mockney & ????s - don't rule out blends, some can be very good. Also, Laphroig is def an acquired taste. Has hints of Iodine, very peaty and smokey. Not easily drinkable.

Had a Glenfiddich 18 YO just before Christmas, 3 of us finished the bottle in an evening, it was very smooth and disappeared before we knew it. No sore head teh next day either.

Or just go The Wire route - get him a bottle of Jamesons and a case of Heineken...beer and a shot.

Well I suspect my partner might object to 7 distillery tours which are, essentially, all the same. But the pubs and bars on the island should have a great range of whiskies to try and I'll be doing my best.

It's a walking and whisky holiday with the latter havnig a direct impact on how much of the former we're able to do.

Pictures may be posted according to how embaressing they are.

I don't favour the heavily peaty ones (my regular dram is glenfiddich), so my recommendation would be an offering from highland park - the 12 yr is a lovely, smooth entry into decent single malt; honey and citrus, only a little bit of wood smoke in the finish. Your budget may carry you as far as the 15 yr, but personally I prefer the 12. The 18 yr is stunning, but you pay the extra and it extends a little beyond your stated budget.