good quality office chairs & ergonomic advice?

Eileen

Hi ? does anyone know of a good display anywhere of good quality adjustable office chairs? and also of chair/seating ergonomic advice? I need a new office chair with adjustable height, seat slope and back slope, plus someone who knows about these things ergonomically. Hope someone has some clues!

All I know ergonomically is that you need to be able to shove your bum into to back, be sat up straight with a slight curve in your back, have your thighs and arms parallel to the floor, and be comfortable without slipping forward. I've a colleague who keeps an eye on my whenever I start slouching, that helps too!

Does it have to be new, if you are willing to buy second hand, there is an office furniture shop that sells second hand office equipment including chairs on the corner of Honor Oak Park and Stondon Park, i.e. very close to where the P12 bus terminates. They always have stock, just need to find the office chair that suits you best.

For ergonomic advice take a look at the Health and Safety Executive web site, will provide all the info you require. Suggest a high back chair with vertical movement, arm rests again that move vertically, seat that can be moved forward and backwards and up and down, and that has five "feet" on wheels for steadiness.

tomchance Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All I know ergonomically is that you need to be

> able to shove your bum into to back, be sat up

> straight with a slight curve in your back, have

> your thighs and arms parallel to the floor, and be

> comfortable without slipping forward. I've a

> colleague who keeps an eye on my whenever I start

> slouching, that helps too!

Hi Tom - Thanks. I know a lot about ergonomics of chairs! Have had decent chairs for 30 years. But need to replace them and need help to get the right thing. I have special requirements. I know what I need in a chair but impossible to tell from pictures and useless catalogue info what they actually do. So need to find a place to visit. I am beginning to wonder though if since I last bought a decent chair the web and catalogues have pushed all the store displays out of business.

Thanks. I might see if I can visit them. I know the ergonomic issues and yes I need all those things. - it is more that I need help to check I get the right one for my requirement, and also to see if I can find someoen to talk to about why my current chairs no longer do the job.

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does it have to be new, if you are willing to buy

> second hand, there is an office furniture shop

> that sells second hand office equipment including

> chairs on the corner of Honor Oak Park and Stondon

> Park, i.e. very close to where the P12 bus

> terminates. They always have stock, just need to

> find the office chair that suits you best.

>

> For ergonomic advice take a look at the Health and

> Safety Executive web site, will provide all the

> info you require. Suggest a high back chair with

> vertical movement, arm rests again that move

> vertically, seat that can be moved forward and

> backwards and up and down, and that has five

> "feet" on wheels for steadiness.