Get Tessa to back disenfranchising First Crapital Connect

TonyQuinn

Here is Paul Burstow's Early Day Motion from yesterday. Please encourage Tessa to sign the EDM.

623 TERMINATION OF RAIL FRANCHISE OF FIRST CAPITAL CONNECT 18:1:10

Mr Paul Burstow

Mr Andrew Pelling

That this House believes that the ongoing disruption to First Capital Connect service travelling into London needs to stop; deplores the severe reduction in timetabled services due to mismanagement by First Capital Connect, which has not employed enough drivers to cover the shifts needed; is concerned that commuters are having to find alternate routes into work and school, adding considerable time and expense to their daily journeys; notes the petition on the Number 10 website calling on the Prime Minister to act on this matter; calls on the Secretary of State for Transport to recognise this gross lack of competence; further notes that the current disruption is a breach of the franchise; and further calls on the Secretary of State for Transport to serve immediate notice to terminate the franchise agreement with First Capital Connect and to offer the franchise to a more capable organisation.

Thanks for raising this issue which I know is of enormous concern to many constituents.

As a Minister, I am unable to support EDMs. I am however, seeking an urgent meeting with senior FCC representatives along with my colleague in Streatham, Chuka Umunna. You may be aware that the Transport Secretary has already raised concerns about the wholly unsatisfactory service that FCC have provided.

Andrew Adonis said in Parliament last week: "I am only too well aware of the substandard service that has been offered by First Capital Connect in recent months. This is a matter of acute concern to me and my department."

I am also seeking a meeting with Andrew Adonis on this and other issues relating to plans for the Thameslink service - particularly on the Wimbledon loop - after the major upgrade works are completed by 2015.

Tessa Jowell MP

Really appreciate your response Tessa and hope that you can deliver this message to Lord Adonis over tea and biscuits before the next Cabinet meeting - the residents of Dulwich are dismayed at the utter shambles that is First Crapital Connect and demand changes. Then tell the PM himself, if you could. All the best Tony

It might be helpful to clarify the position on 'appropriate parliamentary activities'. Without boring you with details of protocol an EDM is basically a way for back-benchers to register concerns on an issue. It carries no legislative weight whatsoever and it is never itself debated - despite having the word 'motion' in it. There is a lot of information on this and similar subjects on the parliamentary website Parliamentary Website if you are interested.

Tessa has already noted above that she is seeking an urgent meeting - I understand that she has requested one this Friday - with senior FCC representatives. She is also seeking a meeting with the Transport Secretary and she will in any case be bringing every single one of the individual concerns of her constituents who have contacted her on this matter to his direct and personal attention. She will indeed, TQ, make use of any and every other opportunity she has to raise this issue with Andrew Adonis.

These actions are likely to be effective whilst putting her name to an EDM which would effectively be pointing out to herself that she is concerned about something would not.

I hope this is helpful. Tessa Jowell (office)

Just to confirm that Tessa will be meeting with the Managing Director of FCC and the Managing Director of First Group Rail Division on Friday to raise the understandable concerns over the performance of FCC in recent weeks and months.

If you have any concerns that you would like to pass to Tessa ahead of this meeting, please email her directly at: [email protected].

Tessa Jowell - Office

Can you let me when Tessa will be at Denmark Hill station and I will come and say hi....I usually get the 0826 GMT, but if you let me know when Tessa will likely to be there will come extra early!

In the meantime, thanks so much for recognising how much of a concern this is to many of your constituents. It's a basic right in London to have a transport system that works and by hook or by crook, most of London's does.

I also urge those coming late to this discussion to sign the following petition...

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FirstCC/

Just to let you know that First Crapital Connect, knowing they are in a fight for their very existence, are offering customers a full 5% refund for their shoddy service over the last few months. Check their website for details, unfortunately it doesn't seem that people who use Oyster will be eligible.

Tessa, when are you going to be down at Denmark Hill?

And for those of you who haven't signed, here's the petition once again....

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FirstCC/

Nearly 5,000 signatories, keep em coming!