The Larder

woofmarkthedog

"The Larder"

...is where the quality produce is kept, the quality condiments ect...

It's the essence of life really & if you are lucy enough to have one, it is a thing of great joy.

I often open mine, step inside & just to look, smell & imbibe.

I'd also go as far to say it's also an emotional parachute as well, should the world outside grind to a halt, then all is well with the hoard you have aquired. "Survive & thrive" in some style for sure.

There are always the "essentials" that are the resident vanguards.

Olive oil, Maldon sea salt, Cider vinegar, Malle mustard, Black & Bristol blend peppercorns ( keep up there ...) Worcestershire sauce, Anchovies & good ketchup, a good tinned tomato. The list goes on & you know what's needed in your sleep

Though however, there are new guest items that catch my eye as I'm out & about in the nicer shops, on my round as it were

Recent discoveries....

1. EMPIRE MADE. Spicey original blend "Peanut Butter". Forget the stuff of "nanny knows best" This is a grown up blend, with chillies & shrimp paste . Very nice "Kick" Indeed & available at Franklins farm shop

2.The above sits well on a slice of brown sourdough bread, (I am however dreaming this with a slice of rare cut lamb from Mondays cold cuts, you know a kind of Satay vibe..).

I used to buy bread from the East Dulwich Deli however, the lot who run it are so ill mannered & noxious that I found their "bread Karma" misbehaving & taking on a nasty note.

I now buy the one from LUCA bakery ( though they have a weirdness all of their own ) It has a good texture, a nice crumb & keeps well. Other than the Bread from "St John"s" this is now my choice item

3. Fresh "chirizo" sausage from W.ROSE, add this sliced thin to pasta sauces, soups & stews.I now use it instead of pancetta.

It's a great little item that keeps on giving, all smokey paprika & smooth rendered fat

There are many more "discoveries" to be made I know, so any "credible" additions would be welcome ( after the usual stringent testing ) of course

I am also loving my new "slow cooker" ?15 from Sainsbury's ( why I have not discovered this joy before is beyond me )

For now though , good eating.

W**F

*lorks , what happened there...... THIS BE THE POST*

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anchovies

> Pickled Walnuts

> Mushroom Ketchup

> Camp Coffee

> Gentlemen's Relish seconded, also Poachers Relish from the same people

> David's Delightful Marmalade *doffs cap*

> Tomato Puree

Whilst I agree about the surlyness of the EDD staff they have a couple of to-die-for items - notably their scotch eggs.

I'm intrigued you think Luca's bread is as good though. I shall give them a try at the weekend.

Edit: Ooh - one more thing. Smoked chipotle chillis. Fandabbydoozy.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anchovies

> > Pickled Walnuts

> > Mushroom Ketchup

> > Camp Coffee

> > Gentlemen's Relish seconded, also Poachers

> Relish from the same people

> > David's Delightful Marmalade *doffs cap* TELL OF WHERE SUCH ITEM MAY BE PURCHASED ?

> > Tomato Puree. OH DEAR, WHATEVER FOR ?

>

> Whilst I agree about the surlyness of the EDD

> staff they have a couple of to-die-for items -

> notably their scotch eggs.HE MAKES THESE BY STICKING HIS C*CK INTO THE PORK MINCE( put off now? good )

>

> I'm intrigued you think Luca's bread is as good

> though. I shall give them a try at the weekend.ITS A VERY WEIRD PLACE, PERSIST THOUGH

W**F

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Oh deary, deary, dear. David wears a cap and says

> 'fandabbydoozy' - he must be Jimmy Krankie.

>

>

>

> Edited for poor spelling and keyboard disasters.

PGC

Has found the "cooking sherry"

W**F

The larders of East Dulwich

The murky brine in an opened jar of capers. The earthernware mustard pot, with its soiled ribbon and spent spew of red wax. The meat hooks that never were annointed with whole hams. Packets of yeast that will leaven no dough. The unopened jars of home-made chutney that neither of you liked, despite you following the recipe exactly.

The note pinned to the larder door.

"You have broken my heart."

Woof, just admit that your cupboard is full of baked beans, "Mr Kipling" cakes, and festering leftover curry.

All this talk of "Black & Bristol" peppercorns, and "good" ketchup... what a load of rot. You should be on Come Dine With Me - you'd be the person who drives everyone mad and comes last.