mad woman in peckham rye park

puzzled

much anxiety among dog walkers in this park. they have been warned that a strange woman with long grey hair is trying to feed poisoned snacks to the dogs. can't find anyone who has sen her. might be another urban myth like the peckham panther or the surrey puma, but if is true it is really terrifying.

I had a text from a fellow dog owner about this woman, she entices your dog by throwing food toward it and then starts saying that your dog has bitten her. The person that texted me got it from a worker in peckham Rye Park. I heard she has long grey hair sometimes in a bun? If this is all true, then its really not funny if you are, like me, a dog owner :(

Thanks for the warning. My dog doesn't readily run up to strangers but who's to say she woudn't engage with a stranger with treats and how would I have known to stop her?

Please keep us posted on this very serious topic.

Right, another fellow dog owner called me today, he had a run in with the woman yesterday I think. She comes up all nice and engages you in conversation. She asked my friend if his dogs would bite her, he said well she's growling at you so I wouldn't come to close, she then proceeded to ask him what he would do if one of his dogs bit her and that she'd want it putdown etc, he told her to get lost. This was in the morning, earlyish 8/9am she has a long green coat and shoulder length grey hair and is quite tall. This is not an urban myth, it is happening.

Where does the poisoned food figure in this? Has someone's dog been made ill or died? Maybe Mr. Barber the Councillor needs to know? Is this woman a new person in the park? Can she be given an ASBO or whatever passes for banning these days?

puzzled Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> much anxiety among dog walkers in this park. they

> have been warned that a strange woman with long

> grey hair is trying to feed poisoned snacks to the

> dogs. can't find anyone who has sen her. might be

> another urban myth like the peckham panther or the

> surrey puma, but if is true it is really

> terrifying.

Poison ? How When Where? Is this an assumption because she offers food?

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where does the poisoned food figure in this? Has

> someone's dog been made ill or died? Maybe Mr.

> Barber the Councillor needs to know? Is this

> woman a new person in the park? Can she be given

> an ASBO or whatever passes for banning these days?

Best give her an ASBO, just in case I reckon.

Either that or take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I've been asked to post my response to a PM about this:

> Someone threatening other people - report it to

> the Police.

> If reticent as not feeling its a 999 call then the

> Safer Neighbourhood Team which for Peckham Rye

> Common and Park is Peckham Rye team on 020 8721

> 2443

> [email protected]

> Or the council anti social behaviour hotline and

> the council park rangers/community wardens will

> investigate 020 7572 5777.

>

> If this doesn't work out let me know and I'll call

> the head of community safety.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for connection to original thread...I thought there must be one. Although this may not amount to anything at all, I was somewhat upset by some of the flippant remarks. OK, I know I made a Cruella ref. in my first message. But the manner in which my young Labrador died from ingested Paraquat was really ghastly. So let's try to get to the truth...yes?

Not Peckham Rye but from the independent

"Six dogs have died after eating poisoned meat left on a London golf course. Police believe the dogs ate chicken and tripe which had been laced with paraquat.

The poisoned meat was left near the 14th tee of the public golf course at Beckenham Place Park in Bellingham, south-east London, earlier this month. Detective Sergeant Clive Barnes said: 'We strongly believe this was done deliberately and are treating the matter very seriously. Whether it is someone with something against dogs for some reason we don't know.'"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/heartbreak-for-pet-owners-as-dogs-fall-prey-to-poisoned-bait-oliver-gillie-on-an-illegal-practice-that-kills-indiscriminately-1500082.html