Musical Genius Part X

????

... this week I give you Stevie Wonder

Motown stuff in the 1960s showed enormous talent but for me his three consecutive albums of the mid 1970s - Talking Book, Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life are up there with the best albums of any genre for innovation, songwriting and arrangement. For R'n'b/Soul..in terms of albums I'm not sure if they've been bettered. ...

Absolute crap past 1980 which I think has detracted from the blokes' genius

Detracted from his genius is an interesting concept in music. Stevie Wonder is a strong case in point. It came as a shock to many of us brought up on his 80s pap, that his previous work was so outstanding. Paul McCartney competes in this field too. The White Album to the Frog song in a few decades, and then teaming up with SW on Ebony and Ivory.

David Bowie often cited among this unhappy group, but less than these two in my view. At least he tries. And his 80s stuff was pretty good.

Who else?

Start me Up

Waitin' on a friend

although both of those were written back in teh early 70s I believe

As for Bowie, long term readers will know my thoughts. A couple of decent 80s tracks aside (Absolute Beginners esp) the 80s were a nightmare for him - but from 93 onwards he has made at least as good music as his 70s incarnations. And I get Quite Cross when people compare him to the Wonders and MCCartneys

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jagger + Bowie + 1980s = Dancing In The Street

>

> *whimpers whilst rocking back and forth in the

> corner of the room*

>

> "Make it stop.....please...."

The video is even worse. Two giant egos clashing for equal face time. I think they are both hugely embarrassed by the whole debacle. Righly so.