*Posts topic in the Lounge*

Annasfield

Annasfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why do people feel the need to do the *action*

> thing in their posts? Almost as annoying as a

> smiley at the end of every sentence.

It helps to express more clearly what is being said. It's not meant to be annoying.

When used sparingly it can be alright, and it became the main vocab of the quiet room

It has become overused tho - if we want to express ourselves maybe we should use words a bit better like?

And I say that as someone who has often used the darn things in the past. Like smileys and sigs... it's a phase best in the past

irrational schmirrational - the English language is a glorious thing - but too much smiley action or *kisses the ground you walk on* renders it repetitive and monotonous

as an aid to understanding, well, I don't like them but I can see their purpose (even if I'd rather people attempted to say what they meant in the first place) - but as the whole means of communication - tedious

Smileys are a bit crap but the amount of times I think surely someone won't take this (mine and others' posts) seriously and they then do.... I think 'swt' as in 'Smiley whinky thing' is better shorthand.

Personally I like, nay even love some of the ** they often are clever and funny

*flicks Vs at Annasfiekd* :))

To be honest, I don't really care that much: they grate on me personally but in the same way that I have come to overlook the tinny beats emanating from cheap headphones on the bus, I let smilies and asterisks wash over me.

So no Brum, no negativity to release

*reads Quids' post and rushes off to check whether 'erudite' or 'methinks' have appeared in any of my own posts recently* ;-)

I like smileys. I think smileys are fab. I have been banned from using them at work though (td)

But I don't know WTF an *action* thing is. What is it? Some words with asterisks around them? WHY???

Oh and WoofMarkDogThing, by the very mention of Dettol (sic) you have cast me back over half a century into my primary school sick room :))

Oh for pity's sake what a load of fuss over nothing. Leave other users of this forum to write what and how they want. As long as it's in line with the rules of the forum, who cares anyway? Emoticons and *actions* are an every day tool to give expression to a post and that is it. If we all start moaning about the way other people post then pretty soon there won't be a forum any more.