My post prandial Sunday walk

PeckhamRose

So we walked down Peckham Rye Common and delivered something to John Beasley's house in Everthorpe, then down to Centre for Wildlife Gardening where we bought some little honeysuckle plants for our new balcony troughs. As their cafe wasn't open we wandered down Bellenden and browsed around Review, buying the 2008 Tony Curtis biog in paperback and a few other items. Then strolled the short walk to Petitou and had coffees and cakes, a treat for someone who doesn't earn much! It was scrummy. The place was full.

Then we walked a few yards down the same road towards Rye Lane and saw a girl child squatting and pissing on to some rubbish bags by a lamppost before running into her parent's (or some adult's) car, which drove off, and then we walked round the corner to Rye Lane where we saw a boy child pissing in the street into a drain, whilst his Daddy held his hand, and then they walked off.

And then we walked home.

You should be at the Colyton Rd entrance to Peckham Rye park on a Sunday when the footballers are playing if you wanna see pissing, or not. You have no choice. Sometimes they go in the bushes to the right of the gate and other times they piss up the tree to the left of the gate in broad daylight. I reported them to the park people, giving them a full description of the guy, with his team colour, number etc and because they hadn't booked the pitch, they could not be traced so nothing could be done and I was told to call 999 if I see it again(td) I bet the police would love that!

There is a slang phrase: "Going for a McPee" - going into McDonalds to use the facilities without buying anything - so many people do it that it is generally accepted as normal.

Declan and Reetpetite why is it more acceptable for a boy to be peeing in the street than a girl? Peeing on rubbish bags is disgusting, I'm not defending it, but I am questioning the gender distinction? Is there a reason other than it not being ladylike?!

PeckhamRose

Upon reading your account of enjoying the long neglected delight of an afternoon walk to shuffle off the slumber of Sunday lunch, my heart leapt with agreement. I too enjoy a regular, bracing walk around the local parks. And occasionally, if no one's looking, pub. My route often takes me to the breathtaking vista offered by Crystal Palace Park where the statues once kept a wary lookout. Its quiet, and offers me room to contemplate in such a vibrant metropolis. Following this I like to wander through the village down towards the Alleyns Head for a jar, or two. The village is so inncoent in early spring, a gentle remminder of an idyll once so commonplace, but now a pasture for wealth and property. Weather and time permitting, I like to finish off in Dulwich park with my easel and paints.

That aside...

I find myself slightly affronted by your attitude to a small boy relieving himself in public. Obviously a girl hitching up her petticoats on the Rye is an abomination against her sense of self respect. The last - and only - time I can remember seeing such a pagan act was after I'd finished with a wench in Calcutta. And even she had the decency to make sure I was looking the other way.

In short, we'd have rather too effete young men who would no doubt be too good with colours. I don't think we'd have been able to dish the Hun if Tommy was too busy looking for a bit of privacy, do you? I just hope your partner gave the young scamp a conspiritorial wink after the little blighter had finished watering the pavement to let him know everything was alright. Despite his female companions disapproving scowl.

Concerning fast food outlets and alehouses. I'm afraid times are changing dear gel. Just the other day I was caught short outside a pub on a highstreet nearby and popped in to point percy at the porcelain. Imagine my surprise when the ruffian of a landlord - you know the type, denim jacket worn over a football shirt - inquired as to why I hadn't bought a drink. I explained that I was merely using his washroom and was leaving. He then subjected me to a thoroughly un-cricket lambast regarding patrons and the facilities. I tell you now, I very nearly beasted him with an empty bottle for all to see.

Fast food restaraunts are the same although there's a little wheeze you can employ to fool the management. Usually you wont be challenged and therefore your bathroom visit is coined 'a Mcshit'. If on the off chance you're challenged before using the facilities you must claim to be buying food after finishing up in the toilet. This is known as a 'Mcshit with lies'.

I was more opposed to the girl peeing on the rubbish bags than actually defending the boy because of his gender. The thought of a street cleaner having to pick up the bags covered in urine was to me repulsive ,if the said girl had used a drain I would not have made the comment.As a Mother I remember only too well having to hold my young child over a drain rather than having them wet themselves !

When did public toilets disappear? They used to be plentiful.

Even in Peckham Rye Park its quite a hike from the playing field up top down to the wardens cabin.

As for shopping, In the olden days department stores would host loos, but there arent many of those about any more. Asking to use a cafe or pub you are quite likely to be turned down, and publicly and loudly. It's not just the very young but the old, the pregnant, the pelvically floored challenged- who need to go.

It's a basic human need.

A total absence of public toilets is sending the message that its OK to wee in the street.

Its like bins in stations- if you don't have them, you're telling people its OK to litter.

Give us the tools and we will finish the jobbie!

Does anyone have any comments to make about the fact in the first para I was describing white middle class SE15 and the second paragraph I am in what's fondly known as 'Little Africa' and the two children and their respective adult carers I witnessed pissing had black skins?

Oh - and the girl pissing on the bags - she was on her own and had rushed across the road from her folks' car and was too young to make any distinction between good and bad pissing positions or places. Resting on a black bag was merely more convenient and comfortable for her. Whether you're black or white, male or female, old or young I think it is a Bad Thing to urinate in public in a civilised society. There was not even any attempt by parents to encourage their offspring to be discrete. (Or should that be discreet? I can never remember which is which!) Maybe people going to Community Councils should demand more public toilets. Or, as previously suggested by me, the council should give money to restaurants and cafes and pubs so they can advertise with a toilet seat type design on a sticker in their windows that they are part of a toilet going scheme! Cllr Barber agreed with this idea on his thread.

Tony Curtis book is Fabulous!!

There is a stage where if you are a child ,if you have to go, you have to go. Boys regularly pee down drains - or at least a gutter- I thought it was strange that the wee laddie was holding his Dads hands though.

Girls though? I thought parents held them aloft at the same places. How horrible that the girl was send to the bin bags - for her and whoever had to pick them up.

I did not pick up any colour on this- just a bit of poor parenting.

espelli Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is a slang phrase: "Going for a McPee" -

> going into McDonalds to use the facilities without

> buying anything - so many people do it that it is

> generally accepted as normal.

>

> Declan and Reetpetite why is it more acceptable

> for a boy to be peeing in the street than a girl?

> Peeing on rubbish bags is disgusting, I'm not

> defending it, but I am questioning the gender

> distinction? Is there a reason other than it not

> being ladylike?!

I can only speak for what it's like being a boy, that's all.

Ive just come back from my circuit of peckham park, rye lane, lordship lane then home - failed to spot any signs of a cameronesque broken britain - all was well in my world - then i read your post - i'm not clear ..are there particular inferences youd like us to make from your observations?