Fingers and Thumbs

tonyw3

Lately I've been thinking really deeply, mulling over a question in my mind. For the sake of this debate we will categorise the thumb as a finger (no doubt there are some that will take issue with this point). But the question is, why is it that we have 5 fingers and the Simpsons have four and this appears to be perfectly adequate?

I read somewhere that the Simpsons were designed with only three fingers and a thumb as a cost-saving measure because it is cheaper and quicker for the animators to draw the cartoons that way. Apparently, that decision has saved the producers a fortune over the years.

As for why we have four-plus-one - we inherited them from an ancient ancestor species that probably acquired them through a random but ultimately useful mutation.

Or, perhaps, it's God's way of encouraging us to adopt a base-10 maths system for some reason we have yet to fathom?

It is a little known evolutionary adaptation the human ring finger.

It is what allows us to move in the 3rd dimension.

It also releases enzymes which help prevent jaundice. This is why there aren?t as many yellow people around as there are in the Simpsons.

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I read somewhere that the Simpsons were designed

> with only three fingers and a thumb as a

> cost-saving measure because it is cheaper and

> quicker for the animators to draw the cartoons

> that way. Apparently, that decision has saved the

> producers a fortune over the years.

HAL9000 I can't believe for one moment that the producers would have sacrificed a finger from each hand of the Simpsons merely to save a few cents. I know that businesses are always looking for cost-saving measures, but to chop a finger off each hand from each of the characters would, to my mind, be too painful to even contemplate.;-)

> Or, perhaps, it's God's way of encouraging us to

> adopt a base-10 maths system for some reason we

> have yet to fathom?

As for the base-10 theory, this could have some Android logic behind it as you would no doubt appreciate.

tonyw3 Wrote:

> HAL9000 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe for one moment that the

> producers would have sacrificed a finger from each

> hand of the Simpsons merely to save a few cents.

Well, the standard for cartoon 'fingers' was set by Walt Disney and here is what he had to say about it:

"Leaving the finger off was a great asset artistically and financially. Artistically five digits are too many for a mouse. His hands would look like a bunch of bananas. Financially, not having an extra finger in each of the 45,000 drawings that make up a six-and-one half minute short has saved the studio millions."

> > Or, perhaps, it's God's way of encouraging us

> > to adopt a base-10 maths system for some reason we

> > have yet to fathom?

>

> As for the base-10 theory, this could have some

> Android logic behind it as you would no doubt

> appreciate.

Actually, I mentioned God because, as I'm sure you've noticed, He is the only Simpsons character drawn with four fingers and a thumb (except in one episode which was explained as an ?animation error? ? although many religious fans continue to believe it was the work of the Devil).

HAL9000 Wrote:

> Actually, I mentioned God because, as I'm sure

> you've noticed...

mmmm...is that your tongue in your cheek HAL9000?

>...He is the only Simpsons character

> drawn with four fingers and a thumb

I have to say, I would never have known that...your observational powers are exceptional...

>(except in one

> episode which was explained as an ?animation

> error? ? although many religious fans continue to

> believe it was the work of the Devil).

ha ha ha...

Very amusing post HAL9000!

• 2 weeks later...

HAL9000 Wrote:

>...I mentioned God because, as I'm sure

> you've noticed, He is the only Simpsons character

> drawn with four fingers and a thumb....

Just had to dig this up. Was at a friend's last night with her two children who happened to be watching The Simpsons on DVD. It was an episode featuring God...and I absolutely collapsed with laughter when I saw that He did in fact have four fingers and a thumb (unlike the other characters) - just as you said HAL9000. The two children thought I was completely bonkers of course as they couldn't understand the cause of my hysterics.

But really, fancy noticing that HAL9000.