A Serious Man

woofmarkthedog

As

I could. I did today.

Took the day off ( well the afternoon really ) but oh, what a treat.

I went on the premise of paying a visit to that institutionally odd bookshop "Foyles" however, once inside & having found my books, my head started spinning with the sheer volume of printed matter on the shelves ( I'm sure I could hear the printers churning & typewriters chattering ) & all a bit "Wonderland"

So I paid and made my escape into the street, collecting a steamed bun in "China town" & making my way to "The Prince Charles Cinema" ( it's that tiny place on the edge of Leicester Square ) opposite the site of that old & sadly missed, cuckoo clock styled "Swiss Centre".

Just in time though for the afternoons showing of the Coen Brothers film "A Serious Man"

I also had the great joy ( as did the other seven people ) of sitting pretty much where I fancied.

Now their films are not everyones cup of tea , story lines wander, characters disappear & sure "winner" plot lines turn out to be delicious red herrings.

I do though enjoy a sheer emersion in them. You just have to give in when the film starts, watch & let go of everything in your mind.

I unusually get a pang of imaginary kleptomaniac desire over the interiors, furniture & lamps ( I am the Imelda Marcos of lamps as it were, sad I know but... ) they are exquisite & perfect in their "period" detail. Oh & then there's the clothes & cars, the architecture & more & more.

All set to distract, but like a good car ( notice the interior when you get in ) "Oh nice". It soon changes & moves along. It catches the eye this film & draws you from the outset.

The story, the plot, what's it about ?

Well, hmmm...

Oh, well yes it's very Jewish, yes very Jewish & a lot of Yiddish. That's it, & lots of angst. You know, all funny Jewish & Yiddish, family bar mitzvah. Of love, ritual & work, with uncertainty, as is a film set deep in a Jewish community.

Do you follow. Well really it's about life & love. It's about the known & the unknown, desire & need. Oh, also hope with dread & funny, funny, dry black humour.

For God, Moses or Abraham's sake, It's a Coen Brothers movie, what do you expect?

Though it could be set in any small faith based community or faithless for that matter.

Because it's about not sweating the small stuff but looking after those you love.

It's about life & what you can't see coming, it's about being in the present.

I loved it myself & I'm going back again next week, to catch the details I missed

W**F

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thumbs up for this film. I also went in the

> middle of the afternoon, one of my favourite

> things to do. Saw it last year and thought it was

> exquisite.

We

That's me & you Cate

We know

W**F