Dad presents

LordshipLovely

Hello,

It's my dad's birthday next week. Every year, for Christmas and birthdays, he is presented with the same boring old stuff (for Christmas - book, CD, bottle of wine, 'casual' rugby top). I am as guilty of buying this as the next person but just never have a clue what to get. Poor bloke.

He will be turning 61. Likes:

golf (playing)

rugby (watching not playing)

skiing (but just been)

wine (slightly more than he should)

whiskey (but he's forbidden unless mum's away)

walking (annual trip to the Lakes)

He is of the 'don't get me anything, I don't need it' kind of mindset.

I have a ?50 budget.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

LLx

A "behind the scenes" tour of a rugby ground? (if such a thing exists here... in my home town in New Zealand you can do a tour of the stadium). My Dad was here for his birthday last year and we arranged for him to go to to a car factory - not top of my list of exciting things to do but he loved it!

If he likes rugby you might like to spend part of your budget on buying him the DVD of last Summer's Lions tour to South Africa. It a behind the scenes type of thing with plenty of swearing etc. Should be easily purchased at Amazon.

Don't buy him whiskey if it's going to cause trouble. Just get him whisky, the Irish stuff. There no 'e' in the spelling so you might get away with it on a technicality!

As he likes wine he might like a wine tasting experience here:Vinopolis Click on the wine tour link at the top.

Hello, and thanks for all your responses!

He's already going to the rugby at Twickers on 6th for England/Wales. Is there anyway you can get tickets upgraded to include access to one of the bars/restaurants/suites - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Otherwise I am so far thinking Vinopolis (as we can go together - doubly beneficial :-)) or a round of golf although surely i've really got to buy two tickets).

I think the Wine Society, although a lovely idea, would be a bit wasted on him and he already has that DVD of the Lions Tour, as I seem to remember having to sit through it at Christmas.