Apple's iPad

*Bob*

As the shouts about sanitary towels/how much? subside.. any thoughts, Apple-types?

At first I assumed I'd put it in the 'no thanks' bag along with the iPhone, but then I wasn't so sure. With an nine year-old iBook taking its last breath, I've tried a netbook (one of the recommended eee affairs) and the description 'crap laptop' was truly deserved - and back it went.

The iPad might not 'do' much, but what's the point in doing more (a la netbook) if it does everything badly, to the point that you just want to throw it against a wall and urinate on it?

Pricing point will be the killer for me, I think. An equivalent $-? translation of ?350 would be a surefire winner, but the addition of vat, plus extra for - well, for no reason at all but hey, that's Apple - and then optional extras which aren't optional because you need them (keyboard dock, useful memory size, SD reader) will surely push the price up to around ?600. With an actual Macbook following on at just over ?800 (and Pro model at ?900), that puts it in an odd place on the pricing shelf, surely?

I'm not a techie and it looks a bit big to me to say take on the bus so I thought it looks like a 'we've done it because we can' type thing that techies sometimes are guilty of

BUT on reflection for pissing about at home on Facebook/The EDF/Doggers of east Dulwich and playing a bit of online poker I could see it's more flexible and comfortable than a laptop and more practical than a mobile for this sort of thing...so maybe...but not going to do it anytime soon and I'm not a Techieperson or a complete Applephile

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I could see it's

> more flexible and comfortable than a laptop and

> more practical than a mobile for this sort of

> thing...

But in these situations, when you're lounging around on soft furnishings, won't you have to prop it up in some way for a decent viewing angle? Using eg the iLegsCrossed, or the iLapCushion, or even the iPileOfBooks?

Exclusive Sources in Cupertino have exclusively confirmed to the Reg that Apple intends to follow up its anticipated iPad success with a miniature, pocket-sized version boasting added voice technology.

"The iPad's a great device," an executive familiar with the matter said yesterday. "But think how great it would be if you could carry it in your pocket.

"And it's got a SIM card in it - which opens up an exciting prospect, that you'd be able to call people up on their actual phones."

Our sources told us that Apple has done a lot of development work on the smaller, enhanced iPad, and that it is even now in the hands of a large beta-test community.

"You may have met someone who's got their hands on the future of the iPad already," said an individual close to Cupertino.

Solid reports are also reaching us that the secretive Californian techno-cult firm plans other futuristic iPad variants. It's thought that the company expects much of its future business to revolve around iPads of various sizes with clever combination keyboard/flip-cover units attached to one edge by a hinge.

Speculation is already rife regarding the names of the new, pocket-sized voice iPad and the larger models with built-in keyboard and screen cover.

Our secret reader poll in past weeks suggested that the likeliest names for the iPad would be the Fondle-Slab? or iStroke?. In the event those predictions turned out to be wrong, but we feel that Steve Jobs may not overlook such marketing gold in future.

It seems a racing cert that legions of Apple fans will enjoy full satisfaction from their fondle-slabs and pocket stroker devices for many years to come. ?

Courtesy http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/28/its_like_a_tiny_ipad/

I was about to type some self-righteous, disdainful shit about spending ?500 on something that will let me read the inane opinions of a billion idiots, buy second hand records and look at the odd naked lady when I already have a perfectly good thing for these purposes but the dailymash has done it better.

Brendan Wrote:

.. when I already have a

> perfectly good thing for these purposes

And how much have you spent on these things (your laptop, your broadband bundle, your mobile plus call package) over the last few years?

You can round-up to the nearest ?1000 if you like.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> On a practical note - how do you sit comfortably,

> look at the screen and type, without getting a

> sore back and cricked neck?

>

I don't think you type much, not the idea really. Unless you go on forums which many people don't web use is mostly just clicks after all.

Brendan Wrote:

> In the last 2 years, including monthly charges for

> broadband and phone - ?1120 (give or take a

> hundred quid)

So you're spending nearly 600 quid a year on 'the telephone' yet buying a device costing ?500 which you might keep for five years makes you a muppet?

I think that's where I'm at, price-wise.

I think I'd happily pay ?350 for an iPad, enjoy the stuff it will undoubtedly do really well, and live without the other stuff which I can undoubtedly live without. I don't own an iPhone and I need a new laptop. I'm good to go.

But it'll be well-over ?500. And more like ?600.

Which is a bit mental. And I'd never use it in public, because I'd look like a knob - at least for a couple of years until Apple has shifted 50 million of them, the other manufacturers have played copycat.. and everyone looks like a knob.