Malt Whiskies

Marmora Man

Beer is fine, wine is nice but whisky is the real thing.

Some favourites:

Highland Park - cask strength, dash of water for winter evenings. A 28 year old (I have about two tots left) is just brilliant.

Glenmorangie - lots of cold water - before dinner.

Talisker - 2 parts water, one part whisky while reading good book.

Caol Ila - anytime, anywhere - simply one of the best.

Any many others.

Thoughts please - whisky tastings can be organised if there's sufficient interest.

I read the same book recently Sean. Although I already enjoyed single malts it spurred me on to try different types.

I never finished it though. About 80% of the way through I got sick of him going on about how all his life consists of is driving around in cool cars, drinking interesting whiskeys and writing. Wanker!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have to thank Iain Banks for the whole whiskey

> thing. I had resisted for so many years, assuming

> Bells/Teachers were the yardstick

>

> But his book (just a book) Raw Spirit touring all

> the little distilleries was a revelation - I would

> recommend it to anyone even half-thinking of

> taking the plunge

Good book but I found the political views, which were not to my taste, made me drink more. However, his stance on whisky is sound.

spadetownboy Wrote:

> you cant beat a black bush.

Doesn't count - not Scotch!!

Rum matured Glemorangie I haven't tried but the Havana Rum barrel matured Glenfiddich was a revelation - a drinkable Glenfiddich.

Has anyone tried the Scotch Malt Whisky Society - I can recommend it as a present (remind wife / partner about 6 weeks before birthday / Christmas - that's what I did)

Scotch Malt Whisky Society

Good for single cask, cask strength malt whiskies with unique rather than blended flavours.

spadetownboy Wrote:

> where does it say anywhere on this thread that its

> limited to scotch whiskey, nowhere that i can

> see,therefore black bush qualifies,certainly

> knocks the spots off some of the crap mentioned

> already.

Well, without wanting to sound pedantic if you look at the title of the thread it says "Malt Whiskies". That's whisky, and malt whisky at that, not whiskey, huge difference.

Wikipedia said this to me: Single malt whisky is a whisky which is distilled at a single distillery, and which is made completely from a single type of malted grain, traditionally barley, (although there are also single malt rye whiskies).

In which case Black Bush qualifies.

Or if we were to take it literally merely saying ?Malt Whisky? would incorporate all whiskies as they are all made with malt.

Although as a modern colloquialism the term ?Malt Whisky? generally implies Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

The argument of colloquial meaning or literal meaning is one that I?m sure there must be some type of legal precedent for. When a judge is asked to determine what the original terms of a verbal contract were there must be some type of test they apply when this problem crops up.

This point is deeply significant for those who would like their partners to buy them the correct type of whisky for Christmas. It must be sorted out before this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/6919503.stm

goes on the market and throws another spanner in the works.

Ahem! It's all in the spelling, Whisky being Scottish and Whiskey being from anywhere else. A Scottish Malt Whisky is completely different in taste and texture as well to things like Bushmills, Black Bush, Paddy or sour mash whiskey/bourbon whiskey. And if you look at Mamora Man's original posting he only mentions the Scottish ones and also only uses the Scottish spelling, without an E. So there you go.

May I join in? I like virtually all whisky but if I had to choose: Oban is nice as a good honest drinker. A Port Ellen will give you a peppery, smoky, peaty good time. A Longrow (from Springbank on Kintyre) or Springbank's 21 year old are heavenly, special treat malts.

Just enough water to release the flavour and on you go.