other Forum

lovely

Strange. But then the owners of this forum could do a lot more to promote it. I would think this forum could have around 15000 users rather than the currrent 1500. A bit of savvy marketing and we'd have a serious force for pressure, change and power in East Dulwich.

And it would generate revenue.

Charlie

Facebook would be a good place to start Mark. More and more people are using it. Even though facebook in itself can act as a chatroom it doesn?t play the same role as this forum. If every time someone searched for East Dulwich or SE London etc on facebook it directed them to a group which promoted this forum I?m sure you would draw in quite a few new members.

What about beer-mats? Don?t know how much it would be to get some printed off but you could offer some advertising to local pubs if they use beer-mats with www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk printed on them.

Church bulletins are also a good place and school newsletters.

cheers Brendan. I believe there is already an East Dulwich area on Facebook and it lists the forum as its website.

I like the school newsletter idea, I may have to clean up the forum and make it more parent friendly (whatever that means), perhaps a parent and child area...

Beermats cost, but I would be willing to go into it with another local business.

How about leaflet drops to sold properties - catching new people to the area / people moving within the area.

This information (sold properties) is readily available for free on the internet. Rental slightly harder unless estate agents willing to help.

Beer mats is good. What about local shops like SMB's..you should get a hessian (sic) bag made up like the dulwichgoinggreener ones with the forum logo (do you have one?) and the web address. Hell! I'd by a couple and think of where those bags travel to, they go for miles. You'd be promoting the forum all over the country/world.

calm down MW74....

There are so many ways.

Get a journalist to write a story about something that was achieved via pressure or collective action from the forum and name the forum in the article.

Ask people to recommend their friends to join. Start a forum newsletter that goes out to all registered users and includes details of local suppliers and "friends of the forum". Make it slick and desirable and get people to forward it to other East Dulwich residents.

Partner with local organisations for example the National Childcare Trust (NCT - pre birth thing for expecting parents) and set up a dedicated forum room for them to use to discuss childrens stuff and arrange coffee mornings etc.

See if you can find other local organisations that could benefit from having a dedicated online forum. Sports? Make a new forum area called Sport in East Dulwich and talk to all local sports clubs asking them to use it.

The charity angle works well too. Find a local charity to support and ask that they promote the EDF to their members in exchange for you raising money for them on an ongoing basis - for example the regular drinks evenings. In future aim to do a single annual event in conjunction with local business, the charity and the EDF.

Banner exchange - Your banner on Find a Property in exchange for FAP's banner on your site. OK, maybe that's a bit ambitious but you get the point.

Schools is a good one. Set up a schools discussion area and ask schools to promote the forum in their communications with parents.

There is no reason why this forum should not be the central point for all of East Dulwich. BUT you should not spend any money on marketing.

How am I doing btw?

Charlie

This Forum doesn't need to be promoted. It's got to where it is without any real promotion. I love the place it is in. Good debate, great information, humour, news etc. It's local and 'democratic' and non-commercial. What benefit would it be to be bigger or more commercial? If it grows naturally, by word of mouth, as it has done so far, then so be it. I would tend to say small is beautiful.

citizen

you're doing great Char1ie, thanks. Please come to the forum's birthday on the 21st so I can hear more, in fact I'm think of setting up a forum committee/discussion group/cabinet/G8 type group to discuss the forum. Just 8 people in a room (maybe in a bar) to talk about the forum. We may decide to do nothing but it would be nice to bounce ideas around and help some locals who are currently not getting the most out of this forum.

oh yeah, I've had the title of this thread changed and the link to the other forum changed so that it doesn't benefit from us.

okay so maybe we don't need a logo. When you start getting 8 people involved though (I can imagine who a few of those 8 will be!) it starts to get a bit too organised and it could loose it's sense of smallness and quirky spirit. Hmmm... advertising would be great but it depends on what level you to take it to. I like the idea very much of having Sport in East Dulwich, and the same idea could be applied to Music, Books, Film, Food!....I could go on. Dedicated areas on the forum not just reliant on people chatting; which invariably leads to straying off topics and postings being lounged.

Exciting!

The five would be myself and hopefully Mockney and I have no ideas who the other three would be. Perhaps Char1ie, would you like to come along and offer your services? There's also Tom who on another thread has discussed the forum I shall ask him.