CV's

Narnia

No one pays to have their CV done.

Just remember people read from top to bottom and stop the instant it becomes irrelevant (or boring) for the role you are applying.

I think generally I'd go for following formula

1) Name at top.

2) 50 word profile.

3) Work history.

4) Personal details.

Sorry if this sounds patronising but, when you've finished writing your CV and read it through half a dozen times for typos - give it to someone else and ask them to check for typos and such. You would be amazed how blind you become to a document you've read often.

Declan - I agree with the others, def don't pay for it to be done. Cannot believe how much they tried to charge you too.

Someone once told me about the CV information on the Reed (Employment Agency) website. I didn't need use it in the end but it looks really good - there are CV templates, sample covering letters, cv builder tools on there -

http://www.reed.co.uk/CareerTools/Default.aspx

Hope this helps and best of luck.

When drafting / reviewing your CV think of what the employer/interviewer whats to KNOW from an applicant.

You can write a 'work history' - chiefly they want to know your:

Key Relevant Skills (you can summarise at the top, some do it in a seperate box or paragraph).

In each job/workplace/role, describe what you were ACCOUNTABLE for and what you DELIVERED - employers get tired of 'was involved in' / 'took part in' etc. ie. make the CV assertive of what you have accomplished. Say WHEN these separate roles/jobs occurred.

Account for any gaps between jobs, if you don't your liable for a binning straight off.

I think the style of your CV can say a lot about your approach / ability to structure, so it may be in your interests to compose the CV yourself.

Thank you all for your input. I sent my CV for a free review, via a link on Reed's website I believe, to the lot who sent me what's below. Their website is somewhat patronising in that they state that they will do the CV all for the cost of only a days wage!

I don't think my current CV is actually that bad (and the spelling is correct GG) but that's not to say it couldn't be improved. So I'll be looking at your suggestions more closely as soon as I can get around to doing it.

Dear Declan

With reference to our telephone conversation today I hope you found my assessment and recommendations regarding your current CV helpful and constructive.

To reiterate the effectiveness of this service - with more than 8,000 previous clients recently surveyed, the benefits are clear:

91% received interview invitations and 57% received a job offer in under a month

79% say we identified forgotten achievements

30% increased their salary or gained promotion!

The professional CV writing services we discussed is priced at ?179 excluding VAT. As described during our conversation, this includes a full telephone consultation with one of 80 senior HR professi onals, in addition to the construction of your Professional CV.

To book your Professional CV Service: Telephone +44 1932 836726, quoting your ClientID: 1038925 to arrange the consultant best suited to your requirements.

To book another CV Review: If you would like to have a second CV review after implementing some of the changes I outlined, then, please click here.

Watch our latest videos, view our Price Match, read our feedback or search 1000s of jobs now.

Kind regards

www.thefullercv.com

Telephone: +44 (0)1932 836726

Email: [email protected]

Registered in England & Wales under company number 4565927

Registered office: 43-45 High Street, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 8BB

CV Library

Register your CV for free with CV-Library and have your CV viewed by over 1600 top agencies and employers, view over 22,000 fresh vacancies and set-up jobs by email.

CV Trumpet

As you know, increasing your exposure while looking for your next great job can only be a positive thing. The more recruiters that know you're looking to make a career move, the more interviews you'll be invited to. That's why we recommend the services of CVtrumpet, UK's No.1 CV sending service.

Hi Declan

I have a bit of experience as I am in charge of recruitment for the company I work for and have to review several CVs on a weekly basis. Based on my experience/approach I would suggest:

- Keep it short (max. 2 pages, 1 is better)! I tend to dismiss (at least mentally) almost immediately anything longer than that.

- Read carefully the job advert, etc and respond/prepare the CV accordingly. Generally you end up getting an interview if you stand out and demonstrate a proper understanding, appreciation, etc of the type of job. Using a standard agency type format will only make you more susceptible to merge with the other 100 applicants.

- Check it for spelling mistakes (not only CV but cover letter and any other additional material you need to submit). It shows you really care about the job!

Obviously feel free to PM me a draft of your CV if you wish and I can give you a specific opinion.

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you all for your input. I sent my CV for a

> free review, via a link on Reed's website I

> believe, to the lot who sent me what's below.

> Their website is somewhat patronising in that they

> state that they will do the CV all for the cost of

> only a days wage!

hi Declan - on that website, I think you probably just need to look at the 'CV builder' section under 'career tools' and enter all the data and - voila - you have a short, snappy, presentable CV that you can email to yourself. Hopefully.

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry if this sounds patronising but, when you've

> finished writing your CV and read it through half

> a dozen times for typos - give it to someone else

> and ask them to check for typos and such. You

> would be amazed how blind you become to a document

> you've read often.

--------------------------------------------------

That is so treu

Good avdise

W**F

That's what I had which was promptly followed by an email asking for feedback on the consultation. They gave you a clue as to what to write i.e. Excellent etc. It also said it would go directly to their website. The smallprint added that they reserve the right to remove it. Pointless exercise then. What stunned me was how quickly the person asked me for my card details having gone through my CV at the speed of light.

All of the above is true..... but whilst a great CV should get you a face to face, it will not in itself, get you the job. We recruit people for our team through word of mouth and network but on occasion will directly recruit on sites like Jobserve, Jobsite etc. For those recruitment drives we'll get up to 500 applications and a decent, well presented, clear CV with the right skill set will usually get you into the top 10 or so for review.

But you've obviously got to then back that up at interview by turning up on time, ensuring you are well presented, look like you want it and are honest, likable (smile!) and articulate. I find it sad (and a tad frustrating) when we see a great CV only to then meet candidate that can't put on a clean shirt, polish their shoes or who cannot express themselves well - or worse they know it all and spend an hour talking at Spud-like speed (Trainspotting) telling us how to run our business. We want people who can listen too and who are not afraid to ask us a challenging question.

You need to dress for the job - we might like our guys to be well turned out in a smart suit and shirt (they'll be on City client sites most days) but that's clearly not going to work if you're headed for a construction job or one in teaching where a more relaxed smart look may be more appropriate.

The other great unspoken is ageism. Nobody admits it but I see it all the time and rather than give in to it, there are strategies aimed at allaying those prejudices in interview situations that work. Our team ranges from 31 to 57 in age and they are all there because they share the key attributes we need.

Sure, all of the above is common sense but it still amazes me how many people miss some of these basic points and its even more important in the current job market. If you've been out of work for a while it can knock the confidence so above all believe in yourself - be positive and look energised - this can be hard if you've spent 6 months at home getting knockbacks or not even scoring an interview. Just a few thoughts there........

Declan - I'd be really happy to review your CV / discuss if you like and have PM'd you....best of luck.