Cinema for Camberwell Green

eusebiovic

Hello Everyone,

I am starting a campaign to save the last remaining Cinema in Camberwell (The Gala Bingo Hall) and preserve it as an Arts Space/Cinema/Music Venue and unique Community Hub. This is one of the last Grade II listed cinemas/theatres left in Southwark. Rumour has it that it has been sold in private to an Evangelical Christian Church or private events firm. Many of our venues have been demolished over the past 25 years. East Dulwich,Elephant & Castle,Peckham have all been lost forever. I am starting a Facebook Page and hope you will all support this embryonic campaign and see where it can take us! If you are interested then spread the word!

Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camberwell-Unit ... 41967

or Facebook search "Cinema for Camberwell Green"

Kindest Regards,

Victor Ferreiro

eusebiovic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Everyone,

>

> I am starting a campaign to save the last

> remaining Cinema in Camberwell (The Gala Bingo

> Hall) and preserve it as an Arts

> Space/Cinema/Music Venue and unique Community Hub.

> This is one of the last Grade II listed

> cinemas/theatres left in Southwark. Rumour has it

> that it has been sold in private to an Evangelical

> Christian Church or private events firm. Many of

> our venues have been demolished over the past 25

> years. East Dulwich,Elephant & Castle,Peckham have

> all been lost forever. I am starting a Facebook

> Page and hope you will all support this embryonic

> campaign and see where it can take us! If you are

> interested then spread the word!

>

> Here is the link:

> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Camberwell-Unit 

> ;... 41967

>

> or Facebook search "Cinema for Camberwell Green"

>

> Kindest Regards,

>

> Victor Ferreiro

Hi Victor

Rumour eh?

Fact is, it's been acquired by a hotel chain. There is no church involved.

The interior is not particularly interesting: I think the listing is down to one particular wall, which would be preserved.

I'm certainly in favour of preserving local cinemas, but I don't think the building or location are favourable here, and sustainability would be questionable.

From the W website:

W STYLE

A STORYBOOK OF STYLE

The difference with W is in the details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspiring. Iconic. Innovative. Influential. From our inception, W Hotels has approached its spaces with both design and comfort in mind. Every W Hotel is a new chapter in a storybook encounter of style and soul, and as our story has taken us around the world, we have created our hotels to be unique and individual expressions of modern travel and modern living.

The artistry of our architecture coupled with the comfort, luxury and whimsy within, is designed to become a beacon in our cities, a civic center of Culture. Influences of old and new, local and global, come together in playful harmony. W Hotels are designed to accentuate qualities indigenous to our locations, creating a unique, balanced relationship with our environment. For example, an exploration of W Mexico City reveals the colors of Frieda Kahlo and Diego Rivera infused with a clean, modern aesthetic derived from "abstracted notions of traditional Mexican Art and Architecture." Crafting this distinctly local but always international sensibility is a subtle art requiring an innovative vision, which is why W Hotels collaborates with some of the most elite names in design such as David Rockwell and Clodagh, to bring each location to life.

Along with our storybook tradition of style and design, W Hotels is a world of sensory experiences. A world of WOW. Immediately as a guest makes his or her entrance into our Living Room, the flirtation begins as lighting, signatures scents, art and music transform the moment. The experience continues throughout as you?re engaged with our world-class restaurants, bars, Bliss? Spas, W Happenings and more. Whatever you want, whenever you want it, W is sure to have something to fulfill your dreams

Presumably they have an ensuite vomitarium.

Oh PGC, it gets better....

You can buy the mattresses they use for a mere $1000.

And their rooms are not graded like normal hotel rooms (double, large double, suite, penthouse suite etc) but with the following cringingly American synonyms:

"Wonderful", "Spectacular" and "Fabulous" - for normal rooms

and

"Fantastic", "Marvellous", "Wow" and, er, "Extreme Wow" - for suites

Oh. Dear. God.

See here for more.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but there IS a (very good) hotel already

> dangnabit!!

>

>

> before we dismiss an area

There is indeed a good hotel already.

But I would be surprised if the area could support more than one. Hence my comment about Premier Inn.

I'm afraid I don't have the intel about which hotel group/chain, so cannot confirm or deny on Alan Dale's view.

Aaaargh!

I was about to lay into Alan Dale for being a notorious bullshitter.

Wind. Sails. Taken.

Let's turn it into 'safe haven' for a tyrannical amoral organisation where I can hand over responsibility for my actions to an odious bloated geriatric narcissus*.

*edited to note that the order of insulting adjectives is surprisingly important. I struggled with this one for a while.

I suggest you all take a look at the photos folder on our campaign facebook page and check out what the East Dulwich Odeon used to look like...It's no longer there because it was demolished in 2001...I can imagine that going down a storm Lordship Lane way today...then you wouldn't all have to sit at home watching DVD's...

Give Camberwell some support...it will be your local arts/cultural/cinema/community hub as well as ours ;-)

Kind Regards, Victor