Bullingdon club picture banned

R&A

i hadn't realised that the conservative party.. i mean... the copyright owners of this picture managed to get it banned from use in the british press in the run up to the election??!!!

here it is in case anyone's forgotten what it looks like... ;)

Mr Guppy in today's Telegraph:

"I am not one of those self-hating old Etonians or ex-Bullingdonians and I have only contempt for those who seek to minimise that aspect of their past for political or career reasons.

"I will never renounce them simply because some chippy journalist or politician or blogger has a hang-up because he didn't go to Eton.

"In particular, the idea of having to disown them in return for the approval of people who hate Eton but admire Big Brother is as dishonest as it is demeaning," he says.

I dunno, strikes me as a bit of weird class war stuff criticism of them for this

At their age I was spending a fair bit of my time with a group of lads (none of whom had been to Eton mind), wearing sartorially intersting clobber and not always entirely up to good...A lot of blokes hang around in one sort of gang or another at that age whatever their background

That they have to try and hide it is a bit sad but also says someting about our class war crap a bit too.

Naturally the Bullingdon pic seems to confirm everything I already suspected about Cameron, Osbourne et al.

That said, from personal experience, "The Oxbridge Thing" is often cited somewhat unfairly with regards to having an easy pop at people who have been professionally successful - though I'm thinking more outside of politics here, admittedly.

Anyway, all this is beside the point. Not voting Conservative because of the Bullingdon picture would be like not going to see Nickelback because you don't like the typeface used on the poster.