charliecharlie

charliecharlie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> can someone please tell me why people on the forum

> ask questions that you can find the answer to on

> the internet in 30 seconds???

------------------------------------------------------

Because they are idiots.

I was on a different forum the other day trawling through posts asking what the difference between something & something else was...FKKING LOOK IT UP

Can I also add this one, why do ppl think it's necessary for me to be updated on whats happenning on their farm in Farmville?? I don't give a **** if they are growing pumpkins..

http://becauseitreallyispersonal.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/funny-pictures-sick-pumpkin-0t6.jpg

BTW- I do like your use of pics to illustrate your points :))

Andystar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can I also add this one, why do ppl think it's

> necessary for me to be updated on whats happenning

> on their farm in Farmville?? I don't give a ****

> if they are growing pumpkins..

er...I think you just need to change your FB newsfeed settings so that you don't get all those updates from farmville etc. Or google how to do it ...(that was a joke, btw).

> BTW- I do like your use of pics to illustrate your

> points :))

I LOVE CC's pics too :))

Well I?ve had a bit of a google and apparently,

?Why do people ask questions here when they can easily find the answer on the Internet?

Answer

Don't think you really wanted an answer, but sometimes people want others' opinions on subjects, or they just can't find it on the Internet. I've tried looking up things on the Internet and couldn't find them, then a few days later, the info I needed would be on the first page listed on the search engine. This site is a way to get answers quickly, and get other people's opinions on subjects you may see only one answer to, like symptoms of diseases and what-not.

Answer

Not all answers are on the internet

I agree with the answer above. I would like to add that throughout my teaching career I have come across too many students that would rather ask me a question than make the effort to find the answer out themselves. That is, I believe, a very bad attitude indeed. Do not get me wrong, I do not mean to say that users of this web site are just lazy. I have asked my own questions too. After all, the service is free and open to all and everyone is entitled to ask and answer whatever they think fit. But when looking at *some* questions I often wonder why that person did not search, say, Google instead of posting a question in here.

But then I thought twice about the whole thing. The particular answers you want may be hard to find at times, in spite of the numerous results that search engines give you. Also, not everyone has the knowledge, the time or the patience to go through all that and, after all, there is nothing wrong in asking, is there? Another thing, many people do not have their own computer. They may be using somebody else's or access the internet from their local public library and again, it seems quite convenient to post your question here and come back when you can to check if someone gave you an answer.?

Then I did some background reading and found out that:

?A question may be either a linguistic expression used to make a request for information, or else the request itself made by such an expression. This information is provided with an answer.?

And that a Forum was the public space in the middle of a Roman city.

A gathering place of great social significance, it was often the scene of diverse activities, including political discussions, meetings, et cetera.

not wanting to be too specific Brendan and thus a bit unkind to another forumite.... the kind of question I'm talking about does not need an opinion and can be found in two seconds on the internet...

eg Does the number 123 bus go to Timbuktu (oh dear, now I have turned it into an interesting question... try again Charlie)

"Does the no 12 bus still go the Trafalgar Square?"

or

"How do I get from London to Reading"

just fcuking look it up, man! why do you thing GOD (or who ever it was) INVENTED THE BLOODY INTERNET

(still rather grumpy from the cold as you can see)

http://nickharthanbt.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/information-overload.jpg

Ah but you see therein lies the rub. Is it? Is it really interesting? Who's to say? I find the goings on in the marriage of John Terry (sp?) duller than a row of tents. I really do. I just couldn't give a tiny rats arse what he gets up to. But a judge recently ruled that the story was not only interesting but in the public interest! Two opposites could not be more polar!

So you see, one man's French underwear model is another man's no 12 to Peckham Rye, if you get my drift.

CC - I think you're being a bit grumpy as on both of those recent questions you put up as examples...

1) The Reading one asked for experience in terms of driving vs The Train during rush hour not basic "Where's Reading how do I get there" stuff

2) The one about the bus was asking if there were roadworks on the Strand and where they still effecting the route (i'd think TFL were about as useful as a choccy teapot on this).

I think they're reasonable requests.

"What line is E&C?" on would probably not be.