the state of the local roads (not ED specific - potholes everywhere in the world)

firstchoicegary

just wondering why when we pay so much to tax, mot and insurance on our cars/vans that we cannot drive on the roads without having to dodge massive potholes??? i know theres been alot of rain latley but every year they get worse and every year we pay more tax etc. surely the roads should be smooth and not dangerous.

gary

We just had an extended spell of cold weather causing lots of damage due to freezing and yes there's a lot of potholes around.

I see gangs every day filling them in as I drive around; be fair, they can't do them all instantly.

Not sure where insurance comes into this btw?

I'd blame the cyclists... they dont pay anything yet wear the road out quite considerably... dont u think?

Sorry, I'll b serious... There r many things wrong wiv wot we pay for. Just think how many times a road, just after has been resurfaced, is dug up by various different companies and various different times when if u think about it it would make more sense if these various companies worked together and did everything (so far as they can) at the same time. Each time creating heavy traffic, closed roads, diversions for months at a time... AND the cost each time round... that would be a bigger concern to me... maybe

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Question

>

> With all of the pot holes after the snow, why do

> councils spend their 'under spend' at the end of

> the financial year on so called 'Road and Junction

> improvemens' (like the current one near the White

> Horse in Peckham) rather then filling in the

> bleeding holes ?

Those works have been in the pipeline for quite a while, I don't think it would be sensible to jack them in at such a late stage.

Still, the potholes have made my daily cycle commute quite a lot scarier when you have to avoid foot-deep holes whilst contending with racing vans, buses and pedestrians wandering out into Rye Lane without looking :(

i think if vans and bike riders could have a beter relationship there would be less trouble on roads , i am a motorbike rider so therefore use my mirrors, but cyclists need to try and realise we dont have as much control over a 2 ton van as 150kg bike and rider. motorbikes have power to get out of trouble. not a harsh post just think if there was a theory test for cyclists then drivers be able avoid unforseen colloisions. . i would love to ride a bike to work but my job does not permit it.

firstchoicegary Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cyclists need to try and realise we

> dont have as much control over a 2 ton van as

> 150kg bike and rider. motorbikes have power to get

> out of trouble.

A ridiculous thing to say. If you drive with due care and attention and at a sensible speed, respecting other road users, particularly cyclists, who are the most vulnerable road users, then you'd have as much control over your 2 ton van as is necessary to avoid any collisions etc

not when they ignore my indicator signals when im clearly in front and come up the side of the van or when they ignore red lights which apply to all road users. and why are cyclists not insured? i had a bike scrape side of my brand new van with handle bars and rode off. . is this fair??? who pays for my repair? yet also if i hit a cyclist regardless of blame i will pay costs on insurance , , is this a fair deal even though we share the same roads??

Gary, you're listing a lot of complaints here about your experience of road use. You started off complaining about potholes and have now moved on to cyclists. Everyone seems to be at fault except you.

Maybe it's time to get back on that bus? (?2 for a single or ?1.10 on Oyster pre-pay).

how come cyclists do not have to a complete a theory test or know the highway code?? if they want to be safe and intergrate with motor vehicles surely they should be tested on road safety etc and be licensed like motorbikes. a 50cc moped has top speed of 30mph , similar to cyclists on a good day and they need insurance tax mot cbt . . .