1.4 billion for Barclay's bonus

SteveT

Its their own money and they can do what they want. They are a profitable business without taxpayer help and its none of our business what they do - unless you are a shareholder - if you are just an account holder I'm not sure they will not be particularly worried if you close your account but thats your choice.

Plus the gov't will receive 50% of ?1,400,000,000 in tax from Barclays + 50% of ?1,40,000,000 in tax from individuals + 28% corporation tax on Barclay's profits of ?6,000,000,000 so Barclay's success and the success of the individual's within Barclays will enrich gov't coffers to the tune of just over ?3,000,000,000 - surely something to applaud.

Whether this gov't or any gov't will spend it wisely is another matter - but it's a sum of tax that will offset that raised from more ordinary individuals on less stratospheric salaries.

I think they have done very well in difficult times, but it must be said the majority of the profits have come from Barclay's Capital on Wall Street which bought up, on the cheap, the rump of Lehman's.

Good luck to them they deserve all their bonus as they took a huge risk and its paid off.

Something like that and equity but look at their performance compared to the banks that took the government money = RBS and Lloyds/HBOS. If I was a Lloyds shareholder I'd be spitting Gordon persuading the board to take the toxic mess that was HBOS. Those shorters were right after all.

This bonus thing really bugs me. The articles in the papers go on an on about the same thing. Ultimately if no bonuses were paid and the C-Suite were paid ?50k like everyone would seems to want our banks would implode on a much grander scale than has already happened.