Is Camberwell allowed?

theatreaaron

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=7277&headline=Uproar%20as%20church%20buys%20Camberwell%20bingo%20hall

Vote NO on the poll on the left here?

I am by no means anti-religion but if there is something Camberwell and the Walworth road doesn't need its another evangelist church, lets bring more culture to the area!

Or vote YES if you disagree... :-)

I love the absolute paradox of people voting for resolutions that may take away their right to vote for resolutions.

The church is demonstrably not a democracy. It's a unilateral dogma enacted through a tyranny of unaccountable self-appointed, well, tyrants.

This should not be a vote, it's a demonstration of defiance.

But that shouldn't really impact on a question of whether Camberwell is allowed. Camberwell, after all, is.

What, Camberwell?

I think it was more of an accident than a decision of the local population. They just happened upon it. I think even if you changed it's name and 'allowed' it to be Tunbridge, it would still really be Camberwell.

I think regarding the Church, the population has a track record of making decisions in the short term that are demonstrably against their long term interests. They simply can't be trusted unless someone's made the effort to keep them properly informed. The Germans are still apologising for the last time they voted in a 'stong leader'.

See 'California state funding' or 'Climate change'

So "if that's what the people want, that they should get" is the worst argument I've ever heard.

Well if a religious business makes money by collecting money from people by claiming that if they give their income their souls will be saved and they will not go to hell; and then the same church makes more money by getting give as you earn fat cheque from HMRC; and then makes more money by being registered with Charity Commission, so no taxes paid of any kind. And then it uses said monies to buy up local landscape... then this church is no more than a moneymaking religious venture, and I see no reason why it should benefit from anything, least alone public sympathy. In my eyes, there's very little difference between what this kind of outfit does and the typical Nigerian 419. The ppl who gain are few, and they need iconic buildings to keep the funds flowing in. It's a business model.

There's a few more places need disallowing, mainly near Lewisham.

Is there a limit on the number we can disallow? What are our options?

Can we disallow Deptford? Poplar? If we've got a limit on Electoral Wards can we just disallow certain boroughs?

Can we just disallow everywhere reached by the DLR? Would that be one choice or many?

What about air, can we disallow air? It seems dreadfully needy.

Questions, questions.

While someone somewhere is attempting to disallow it, I don't think that's necessarily being judgemental about quality.

I'm sure there are many things that are very high quality, but disallowed. They might have actually said "Camberwell's got very nice houses and an art college, unfortunately it's disallowed", whilst looking sympathetic.

I once cancelled the milk. The consequence was that after about a day I didn?t have any more milk. Milk is thing. France is a thing. So if you cancel France you will no longer have any France.

It may take a few years for it to run out though as France is a bit bigger than a bottle of milk.

May I remind you all of the wise words of Voltaire? "If Camberwell did not exist, we should have to invent it". It does, after all, serve as a buffer between ED & Walworth. Imagine Walworth on our very borders; or The Oval....

Not sure about losing KCH Hospital though...

An interesting spatial threat to disallowance then?

There's an almost Tetris-esque nightmare raised there, which probably shouldn't cause so much anxiety. I think the most likely effect of a disallowance is that Camberwell just wouldn't.

The whole question of architecture and hospitals would be void also, by calculation.