U2 live in the Gowlett

Oglandia

Lovely Oglandia,

I would love to believe that this was true, but I doubt it. U2 have been popular in Ireland since the late 70's and became massive in Ireland in about 1980 when "Boy" was released. Bono did not don a cowboy hat for years after that - like 15 years after that. None of them had spots or were greasy haired at the time. Indeed Larry Mullins looked like a better looking version of James Dean! They were persued everywhere by young women...(sigh) when they played at the Dandelion Market (OHMYGOD). Not a single one of them had a spot. Indeed they were always simply gorgous. Then Bono behaved like a complete arse at Band Aid, and it has been down hill all the way ever since.

I can't imagine them being discovered by a London pub landlord 25 years ago!

I can assure dulwichmum that U2 were indeed playing the "lesser" venues of Britain back in the late 70s

The Gowlett may not still be a rock venue but the Hope and Anchor in Islington very much is and makes much ado about ealy U2 gigs. I think my first U2 was Cork City Hall in 82 ( I wasn;t much taken.. my love of U2 tends to be 93-97 era)

Whatever the facts may be about their performance history I am surprised to find myself at least agreeing with DM that they have gone downhill faster than a Formula One race car n a slippery slope with a huge tailwind. I think their deterioration probably coincided with the fact that they started to think that anyone gave a f**k about their opinions on anything other than music. U" are a sublime example of people who achieve success and a platform in one arena and then think they have the intelligent, knowledge and understanding to be informed commentators in completely different areas. The only thing more disturbing than that is the fact that considerable swathes of the public seem to be happy to allow them to do that and then worship at their feet like disciples at the feet of the master(s).

If U2 had stuck to music their place in the musical firmament would have been assured. Unfortunately, every time I even hear Bono or U2 mentioned nowadays I get a sense of irritation.

I am not going to disagree with anyone who does or doesn't like U2s music

But Domitianus I think you are wrong they went downhill the moment they thought anyone cared what they thought - have a look at some interviews from the very early days - all of the same opinions were in evidence (many of which I agreed with some I didn't )

Here's an interview from 1981 as evidence:

http://u2_interviews.tripod.com/id12.html

When U2 became this MASSIVE band then those opinions became more ubiquitous - but it had little bearing on their music

It could be true but one thing I do know is that they played the Half Moon in Herne Hill coz my mate was there and there was literally four men and a dog...er that would be Bonio of course, or The Pope as he likes to be known to the general public these days. On a personal level I saw them at the Marquee Club when they first started out around late '79 or early 1980 and they were brilliant. Can't bloody stand them now though.

As somone who remains a fan, I'd argue that U2 are one of the very few acts (perhaps the only major one) whose music hasn't become a sad parody of their former glory days. Most acts lose that essential ingredient, passion, but I reckon they still have it in spades. Go along to a U2 gig and you'll still get plenty of tunes from the latest and most recent albums that don't act as a signal for the audience to go buy the next round. Can't ever be said for the Rolling Stones, Who, Prince etc etc..

So Bono has a bit of a messianic complex and can occasionally get on your t*ts, big deal. Are there any half decent performers out there that don't? It's his job. If you've followed what he's been up to the last few years (with DATA, RED, ONE campaign etc) you'll see that far from being someone famous jumping on a planet saving bandwagon, he really knows his stuff. Sometimes more than the politicians and campaigners he works with. Just ask Jeffrey Sachs.

Plus, in the f*cked up world of rock n roll, not only have the same four schoolfriends kept together for thirty years, but he's also been married to his childhood sweetheart for 25. Gotta say something for the man.

As he says, celebrity is currency and I think he chooses to spend it wisely.

Personaly I think U2 have had a few absolutely great songs, and a load of sh!t ones. Bono is a gobshite. The Edge is pretty cool, but if he took his hat off he'd just look like a bald pikey.

Chris Martin of Coldplay is another one who thnks he is our moral gaurdian... He also thinks he's a lot brighter than he is... He also thinks that Bittersweet symphony is the best song ever written... Obviously a complete terd!