Twitter

theflorence

it is a potential can of worms this thread I know. Massive scepticism has been replaced by thinking that the idea of a social forum where anyone can post their thoughts, recommendations, or just have a general chat might just take off...

Some offers absolutely, some recommendations, what ales we are currently selling, interesting customers, our general musings - the male/female balance of the pub needs addressing at a particular time etc... we are open to suggestions, sensible or otherwise.

When we took over the pub, the toilets were already equipped with extremely high-tec tape decks. Rather than music on loop, opted for the dulcet tones of Anthony Bourdain reciting from his book Kitchen Confidential - a mighty fine read.

The poll could indeed be contentious, but then is something we like to re-address, particularly with the imminent opening of our new dedicated childrens play room. Let the people speak.

theflorence Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When we took over the pub, the toilets were

> already equipped with extremely high-tec tape

> decks. Rather than music on loop, opted for the

> dulcet tones of Anthony Bourdain reciting from his

> book Kitchen Confidential - a mighty fine read.

>

> The poll could indeed be contentious, but then is

> something we like to re-address, particularly with

> the imminent opening of our new dedicated

> childrens play room. Let the people speak.

ahaaa right well at least now I know I'm not going mad..... a little spooky when you are half cut! I think I'd prefer to have a beer with him though rather than listen to him waffle while I tinkle.

A fine read indeed.

Twitter is like anything else. Use it badly and it is a pain in the @rse, use it well and it can be fun or even useful.

ASOS make ?27 million per year (from a total turnover of around ?178 million) from their various Twitter feeds according to a friend who's other half works for ASOS. There was also another eye-popping stat that she reeled off concerning social media in general. The exact percentage escapes me, but it was something like 1 in every 3 pounds make by ASOS is derived from social media of some description. Pretty impressive.

FWIW, it is also rapidly replacing email as a source of communication. The character limitation does two things however...

1. Shows us how much sh!te we actually type on email (and forums for that matter)

2. Accelerates the acceptance of text-speak as normal (boo!)

We have just started using Twitter for The Goose Is Out!

Quicker than sending zillions of people an email ..... though we don't have many people following us on Twitter yet, so we have to send the email anyway :))

Nah, it's not a lot to learn at all.

I'd go as far as to say that it might be the easiest entry point for technophobes to social networking, although oddly Twitter has a lower average age of user than Facebook which you might not expect. However, it could be that Facebook's current ubiquity means that every one from 8 to 80 can get their heads around it (with a bit of help from Grandkids or the like)

Ooh - when's the children's room opening Flo? We'll be down there like a shot (of Mezcal in my case!). I promise our kids are well behaved (not precocious, food flinging monsters etc) - well most of the time.

You got a naughty corner too?

Indeed - our toddler regularly sends my OH and me in there already - if we burp, swear or shout.

Not sure who's wearing the pants in this family.

What will i t have in it?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread - feel free to PM me if I'm going too off-topic.

Twitter for Dummies collected from the Bookshop - is there really that much to learn?

Not really. Just jump in, talk to people and don't spam. Special offers always go down well.

But I think you know all that already. (I'll be in for sausages and mash some time soon.)

giggirl Wrote:

> Last time Twitter was discussed on the forum I

> gave it a right old slagging off but now, well,

> it's sort of grown on me. I'm twittering. I

> changed my mind. I'm allowed.

you, me and so many people I know

I always assumed it was just another outlet for the self obsessed; another facebook status type update tool.

Now I can't leave it alone. I don't comment on what i'm up to as i don't want to bore people, but as a newsfeed and information provider it's essential. I follow certain favourite websites, record labels, bands, magazines, papers etc and always get a heads up on gigs, tickets, new tracks, album releases and other assorted news bits.

The thinking is that Twitter will eventually become bigger and more useful than Google. As people re-tweet (pass on third party tweets to their followers) it will create an intuitive information providing service. Rather than using search engines to find out things you are interested in, that information will come to you of it's own accord (well, with the help of other twitterers). The potential is quite phenomenal.

theflorence Wrote:

> Hi Ryedalema,

> Steelwork went in last week, the roof goes on this

> week, so fingers crossed we are still on schedule

> for early April.

> Naughty corner sounds like a great idea. Now

> thinking about introducing one in the adults area

> too.

This....

All sounds like "Alcatraz"

Watch Tower & barbed wire delivered yet ?

Oh & the 100,000,000 watt search lights, have they arrived ?

"STAND AWAY FROM THE PERIMETER FENCE"

W**F